Which Retriever would fit

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Which Retriever would fit

Postby Pflugerman » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:33 pm

Howdy guys and gals,
Thanks for the previous help, still looking for a retriever, I am trying to decide between a chessie, Lab and golden. I have worked with field labs before, But, I have really seen a few chessies that I would love to have. I have heard that chessies are a lot more hard headed and less likely to listen when you are working with them. For ducks and geese a chessie would be better but I dont know about some smaller birds like doves. I Have a feeling a good golden could outperform a decent lab or chessie, Thanks for the help. KC
Pflugerman
Started
Started

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:48 am

The bottom line is that you're right "a good golden can outperform a decent Lab or Chessie," but you didn't go far enough, as it's also true that a good Lab will outperform a decent golden or Chessie, and a good Chessie will outperform a decent golden or Lab. From a practical performance standpoint, water or land, there's more difference within the breeds than between them.

I happen to like Chessies and find them very easy to work with, but I don't recommend them to anyone, because folks who think they're being "hard headed" tend to really screw 'em up. And while the next guy may think the appearance of a golden's coat well worth the additional maintenance and water it hauls into the boat or blind, I see it as a nusiance.

Labs are far and away the most popular with hunters for both water and upland work, so it's easier to find suitable blood within their breed.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Thanks for the help

Postby Pflugerman » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:03 pm

I know that this site is predominately geared toward the pointers, is there a better lab site that would have more breeders posting, this site is one of the best I have seen but for some reason there doesnt seem to be as many retriever owners/breeders, thanks for the suggestions, KC
Pflugerman
Started
Started

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:45 am

Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby fattire » Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:45 am

You can find dogs from all three breeds that will fit your needs. I own labs.

Labs are easier to train but that is about it. Chessie are not hard headed as far as my limited experience with my Uncles dogs. Labs are the most popular because a pro can train the faster and easier than a chessie or golden but they are not better.

My uncle had chessie growing up they were the most lovable dogs around, they are a little more rare but on the flip side most people who breed them hunt and test them. Some might be aggressive but I have never really have seen it. They are not instigators but they can be finishers, a loving home creates loving Chessies.

Finding a quality lab should not be a problem. If you want a golden go with

http://www.trieven-sungold.com/sungold/

Jay and Val can sell you a top line golden or lab. You can probably find a lab closer to home that might be as good as their labs. But if you want a golden it is worth the trip. I have several friends with Goldens from them they are great hunters.

There is a guy out of Idaho that has great chessie, if you want a chessie anyone who runs in that circle can help you find a pup from proven parents.

Good luck.
Hunting without a dog is just shooting.
fattire
Started
Started

Re

Postby blueblood » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:55 pm

I have had two out of the three, Labs and chessies. The labs I had were faster training dogs. But I am sorry, NOTHING hits the water like a chessie. Or works as hard. I have owned great dogs from both breeds. I currently have kurzhaars, and they will stick right with a retriever till it gets cold (Icy water). To each his own but here is the greatest advise I can give. Study the temperament of the breeds. Get what they look like out of your mind. Once you find a dog that matches your personality dive in with both feet and don't look back. Who cares what people think, match you with the breed not the look!
blueblood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Retrievers