Switching?

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:22 pm

Thanks Slistoe. I had it backwards.

Trainers learned long ago that the most efficent way to beat a test was with a dog that was at least a seconday selector.

If most dogs take the last bird down, etc. then aren't they "at least secondary selectors?"

Did you mean the "most efficient way to beat a test" was to do primary selection .... so you could send the dog for the retired gun mark?
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Bruce Schwartz wrote:Thanks Slistoe. I had it backwards.

Trainers learned long ago that the most efficent way to beat a test was with a dog that was at least a seconday selector.

If most dogs take the last bird down, etc. then aren't they "at least secondary selectors?"

Did you mean the "most efficient way to beat a test" was to do primary selection .... so you could send the dog for the retired gun mark?

No. Secondary selection is when the dog picks the first bird and you pick all the rest. Gets you out of a heck of a lot of trouble. I have rarely seen a great field trial dog that wasn't a flawless secondary selector.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:48 pm

Gonehuntin,
Secondary selection is my point. Dog gets his own first bird and I choose the rest. If I choose a different one than pup wants , I no him off the bird
and send for the one I want.

and at a trial. if I send pup for the bird I selected and he vears off, I can still handle to the one I want though my score wont be as good or I may end up out. But if I send dog for the one I want and he vears and I dont handle I could still be out right?
So "never" handling on marks isnt really accurate. Theres no problem handling on marks as long as popping is eliminated.

And also say we are hunting and I shoot two birds. First one down is a crippled chukar thats heading out of the country, second is dead. Shouldnt I be able to "no" the dog off the first bird to get the cripple? And if so shouldnt I train for it?
Kiger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to Retrievers