Identity crisis...

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:32 pm

CBRHunter wrote:Rick,

Have you noticed a difference between the brown and deadgrass Chessies? Having both in the house at the same time we've noticed a huge difference. The deadgrass one is spring loaded!! I swear he can jump 5ft straight up in the air - and we don't encourage it..he just does it! He lays differently and it seems like his hips are double jointed....vet says their fine just thinks its a deadgrass thing. Any thoughts?

How's the tiger growing and getting along with the rest of the family?

Have only had one "brown" one, and he was brindled light and medium brown. And the latest being only my fourth Chesapeake, I'm not in a good position to make generalizations. But one of my deadgrasses was a real jumping bean that could run backwards in front of me while jumping high enough to seemingly look me in the eye - while I was running. And it was bad hips that prematurely ended his career.

Anyway, the current pup is fitting in well - so far. Though most everything must seem to be named "Ahht!" or "No!" And I'm getting up a couple hours early to keep house breaking on track. Would also just as soon not give him real cause for an encore performance of the incredible lung power he demonstrated the first couple or three nights in his crate.

We're apparently making headway getting "come" conditioned, as he's passing easy distraction tests with flying colors - so far. And we're both having great fun checking out his new "offices" in puppy-sized adventures. Funny what a big deal high weeds, puddles and tractor ruts can be when you're only a foot or so tall.

Here the seven-week-old is atop the summit of Mt. Plow Clod contemplating the Sea of Rice Field and more than a little awed by it's mysteries - so far:

Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Clayton Evans » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:01 pm

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=480245&c=560&z=1"]Image[/url]
I thought I would post a photo of some of my ChesapeakesAll are JH will post the SH at a later date.
Clayton Evans

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:31 am

Wow! That's a whole durn pack of 'em. Y'all must have some serious tough birds.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby snicklefritz » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:07 am

Great picture. Do they play poker? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CBRHunter » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:00 pm

Gotta love that Chessie smile!!
~Danni~

May I always be the person my dog thinks I am

CBRHunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Sniper John » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:31 am

Now, I don't have a Chessie, but My Vizsla which is used as a water retriever as much, if not more than upland. She is a big girl. When hunting waterfowl, she is almost always called a Chocolate Lab by other hunters that do not know me. Guess they just do not expect a Vizsla to be retrieving ducks and the occasional Goose. Other times people think she is a Redbone. Even a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Once she was called a Cur.
I used to correct them, now I just smile and say thank you.

Sniper John
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to Retrievers