Identity crisis...

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby Sharpshot Kennels » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:32 pm

Margaret,
As well as our spinone we also have a bracco, another versatile hunter, a little more headstrong than the spinone but a good hunting dog.
Joyce
Sharpshot Kennels
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Margaret » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:22 am

I'd love to hear about how a Bracco hunts, and Spinone too. I've never seen a Spinone hunting. I did give BIS to a Spinone at a gundog show one time, it sure could move.
Should their coats be left natural or trimmed for the show ring?
When I judged the dog it was shaggy, not too long but then I saw it in the SI being campaigned by another person who looked to have it trimmed right up maybe even takent he undercoat out. I didn't get close enough to tell.
Margaret
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

With my Gordon

Postby Blades » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:01 pm

I get the "MY, thats a dark english" or my favorite "Is that a bloodhound?"
Blades

Postby snicklefritz » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:03 pm

I've also heard Rhodesian Ridgeback.
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Sharpshot Kennels » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi Margaret,
I have a dvd of both spinone and bracco hunting, I can make a copy of it for you if you would like it. Send me your snail mail address.
The coat on a spinone should never be cut or shaved, we hand strip them for the show ring, we only use a scissors on the hair between the pads on their feet, they also have no undercoat. We are just back from the world show in Poland last week, saw some really super spinone and bracco, the bracco went best in show.
Joyce
Sharpshot Kennels
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Margaret » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:15 pm

Thanks Joyce. Done.

World show in Poland, wow. See some quite different breeds at those European shows.
Margaret
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CBRHunter » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:46 pm

Looks like a lot of breeds get accused of being something else. With our brown Chessie I had a rather pretentious Lab woman (who upon prodding got hers from Petland!! :lol:) tell me that my "Lab" would not do well in the conformation ring as a Lab, I went on to tell her well of course not she's a Chessie. She told me that's not a CKC breed and that I got ripped off.....oh man I just decided to leave it at that...trying to educate her would have resulted in a few knocks on her head. Our deadgrass boy always gets "hound cross" and when we say he's a purebreed hunting breed people always try to argue. I don't get it....do I have to staple their reg papers to their butts? At first it was quite frustrating, at this point we expect it and just take a tally whenever we go out how many times people take a stab at their breed. I can't wait to get testing and trialing where people actually have some knowledge of breeds!
~Danni~

May I always be the person my dog thinks I am

CBRHunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby slistoe » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Showing up at a test with a chessie wouldn't reduce the amount of ribbing you will take!!!
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby snicklefritz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:02 pm

Showing up at test with a 'Chessie' is like driving corvette into a car show. People stop and turn to look :D
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:21 pm

Again, I gotta side with Slistoe.......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:45 am

snicklefritz wrote:Showing up at test with a 'Chessie' is like driving corvette into a car show. People stop and turn to look :D

Would think showing up at a test with a Chessie is more like driving a Corvair into a car show, in that people do stop and look - but they expect it to break down.

(That from a long time Chessie guy who's been there plenty.)
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby snicklefritz » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:03 pm

Aha! I see have Nader-ites on the forum :lol:
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby crackerd » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Nader's bete noire was more the Pinto than Corvair.

The Humvee
might've got his wrath about fuel efficiency but could cover whatever ground or water asked of it.

Hey, Rick, you know you're far too self-effacing or breed-effacing when it comes to Chessies. (As Consumer Digest might have it, superior reliability tested and trialed.)

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:16 pm

Naw, I'm just being candid. My distinct impression has long been that the predominantly Lab-owning hunt test crowd expects Chesapeakes to make a poor showing, and I'll admit to having come to share that view. (Saw a handsome 100lb brute refuse to enter the water on a JH test last year.) Which, of course, makes it all the richer when one steps to the line and does what the good ones are capable of doing.

And even at the marsh, the sports are nearly as incredulous as when I get the Brittany down when it's a Chessie that comes out of the box. "You like those hard-headed Chesapeakes?"

"Don't know, never had one."

But I reckon that could change. Check out the surly little deadgrass soul in the middle who's none to pleased about having his nap disturbed for pictures. Expect at this point that he's to be "Bon Chance".

Just four-week-old, and he and the dark brown brother on his left look like they could easily whip a whole dang gang of trainers.
Last edited by Rick Hall on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby crackerd » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:20 pm

Yeah, but he's got his nose to the ground already--better watch it, or the Brits'll have him out from under you.

MG

(Deadgrass...hmm. Or I will.... :twisted: )
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Retrievers