Identity crisis...

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Identity crisis...

Postby snicklefritz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:09 am

I"m new here, and I'm new to owning retrievers (Am I a 'newbie', a 'rookie', or something else entirely?) Anyway, I am the proud owner of a 'Chessie' - the 'other' retriever. So, I thought I'd start with a funny, but true story to introduce myself. No offense is intended to lab and doxie owners.

Today I took my Chessie pup down to the lake for a swim and a couple of easy retrieves. While I was there a lady approached with her two yellow labs and a miniature dachsund. The two labs cost $1200 each, and the doxie cost $1500. I know that because that's what the lady told me in the very first, paragraph long sentence she ever uttered to me.

Then she looked at my Chessie and said, 'That's an unusual color for a chocolate lab. What's he worth?

Given her opening remarks, I just couldn't help myself as I replied, 'He's priceless. In fact, his genes are competely identical to those of a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. 'Not only that..., I continued, 'both his sire and his dam also have genes identical to Chessies.'

The lady said, 'I have a black one at home.'

I replied, 'They don't come in black. So, how old is your weiner dog?'

She huffed and said, 'He's not a weiner dog, he's a dachsund.'

'And my dog's a Chessie, not a lab', I replied.

She called her dogs, then, and left in a huff. Actually, she left. Her dogs ignored her recall and stayed to play with my Chessie while she yelled at them from the car.

I figured I better leave so she could go home. So, I took my chocolate lab with the Chessie genes and left.

There aren't a lot of Chessies in my neck of the woods. But, there must be a lot of weimeriners. Sometimes, I have one of those too! :roll:
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby TobyTx » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:16 am

sounds like she needed to be pushed in the lake. Esp right after she told you how much her dogs cost. My guess is they were from show lines, that lady got ripped offed! From the sounds of her, she deserves her overpriced pooches.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:12 am

Dang! I miss all the fun.......

I think you'll do very well here at Veedogs. Keep up the good work.

Too bad ya didn't have one of those fire breathin' Spinone's.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:15 pm

Better get used to it. Been working Chessies at a busy waterfowl lodge for twenty-some years, and duck and goose hunters mis-identify 'em almost daily. Though some come close by asking if my dead grass Bay dogs don't have some Chesapeake in 'em.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:31 pm

Snicklefritz,

You're not the only one with an identy crisis. Read on:

Two women were out for a Saturday stroll. One had Doberman and the other a Chihuahua . As they walked down the street, the one with the Doberman said to her friend, "Let's go over to that bar for a drink."

The lady with the Chihuahua said, "We can't go in there. We've got dogs with us."

The one with the Doberman said, "Just watch, and do as I do."

They walked over to the bar and the one with the Doberman put on a pair of dark glasses and started to walk in. The bouncer at the door said, "Sorry, lady, no pets allowed."

The woman with the Doberman said, "You don't understand. This is my Seeing-eye dog."

The bouncer said, "A Doberman?"

The woman said, "Yes, They're using them now. They're very good."

The bouncer said, "OK, come on in."

The lady with the Chihuahua thought that convincing him that a Chihuahua was a seeing-eye dog may be a bit more difficult, but thought, "What the heck," so she put on her dark glasses and started to walk in. Once again the bouncer said, "Sorry, lady, no pets allowed."

The woman said, "You don't understand. This is my seeing-eye dog."

The bouncer said, "A Chihuahua?"

The woman with the Chihuahua said, "A Chihuahua? They gave me a f—king Chihuahua ?!"
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby snicklefritz » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:48 pm

ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: Thanks Bruce.
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Identity crisis...

Postby KY Duck Hunter » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:41 pm

snicklefritz wrote:I"m new here, and I'm new to owning retrievers (Am I a 'newbie', a 'rookie', or something else entirely?) Anyway, I am the proud owner of a 'Chessie' - the 'other' retriever. So, I thought I'd start with a funny, but true story to introduce myself. No offense is intended to lab and doxie owners.

Today I took my Chessie pup down to the lake for a swim and a couple of easy retrieves. While I was there a lady approached with her two yellow labs and a miniature dachsund. The two labs cost $1200 each, and the doxie cost $1500. I know that because that's what the lady told me in the very first, paragraph long sentence she ever uttered to me.

Then she looked at my Chessie and said, 'That's an unusual color for a chocolate lab. What's he worth?

Given her opening remarks, I just couldn't help myself as I replied, 'He's priceless. In fact, his genes are competely identical to those of a Chesapeake Bay Retriever. 'Not only that..., I continued, 'both his sire and his dam also have genes identical to Chessies.'

The lady said, 'I have a black one at home.'

I replied, 'They don't come in black. So, how old is your weiner dog?'

She huffed and said, 'He's not a weiner dog, he's a dachsund.'

'And my dog's a Chessie, not a lab', I replied.

She called her dogs, then, and left in a huff. Actually, she left. Her dogs ignored her recall and stayed to play with my Chessie while she yelled at them from the car.

I figured I better leave so she could go home. So, I took my chocolate lab with the Chessie genes and left.

There aren't a lot of Chessies in my neck of the woods. But, there must be a lot of weimeriners. Sometimes, I have one of those too! :roll:

:lol: Great story! Welcome to the board!
One man's attempt at training a hunting dog:
Hunting With Labs
KY Duck Hunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Thank you all

Postby snicklefritz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:43 pm

It’s hard to be the new person in a group with established relationships. Thanks to all for the warm reception.

I feel the need to come out of the closet, in a manner of speaking, about my connection to retrievers. My Chessie and I came together as a happy confluence of events that were not planned in advance. Maybe it’s like an unplanned, but welcomed pregnancy. :lol: Chessie pup needs good home; old fart needs companionship and somebody to listen to his mumblings.

My expectation was that ‘Buddy’ and I would have some fun and then sit by the fire together in the evenings. But, as I learned more about retrievers I began to recall a time in my earlier years when I trained Thorobreds to behave nicely and jump over things with 14 year old girls on their backs. I learned, in my equine days, that a horse with good manners had a much better chance at a long and happy life than one that misbehaved. So, ‘good manners’ was the bottom line for any horse I worked with. ‘Good manners’ was simply the best thing that could happen to a horse - for his own good!

I assumed, correctly I think, that the same is true for dogs, so I have worked very hard to help Buddy become a good citizen. But, I also learned that bored horses, and bored dogs, get into trouble. So, translating equine into canine, I determined to involve Buddy and myself in my local hunting retrievers club. I thought we could have fun, work hard - and then sit by the fire.

Consequently, I have no expectations beyond that for Buddy or myself. We may never be competitive in hunt tests, or field trials, or on a real hunt, and that’s ok by me. But, at the same time, I have had very high expectations for myself and my horses in the past. So, I understand that others are a little more intense than I am.

Boy, I’m really going on here. So, let me end this diatribe with a final thought and a thank you. I believe that we all respect and admire dogs for the magnificent creatures they are, and that’s a good foundation for relationships.

Thanks,

Snick and ‘Buddy’
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby tam » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:46 am

Welcome to the board, Snick! It sounds like you and Buddy are on the start of some good times!

I've had a couple experiences similar to yours:

"What kind of dog is that?"
"A Clumber Spaniel."
"A Cocker Spaniel?"
"No, a CLUMBER spaniel."
"Oh, neat, I've never seen a white cocker before!"

:lol:
tam
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:46 pm

I learned, in my equine days, that a horse with good manners had a much better chance at a long and happy life than one that misbehaved.

There it is. Horse, dog or man, good manners are enriching and enabling, rather than limiting.

(Being an expectation theory believer, it's been my practice to give my pups names with promise of the future I desired for them, and my first Chessie's call name was "Buddy". Registered as "Mr. Bud" as a nod to the Southern custom of so showing respect. Five-year-old, Blue's Clues fan grandson decreed that the current youngster's name is "Blue," but he's registered as "Mr. Blue," as a nod to his predecessor, who earned both of his handles - in spades. May your Buddy bring you as much joy as mine brought me.)
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Identity crisis...

Postby Cora's Shadow » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:46 pm

When my German Longhair was a pup, I got asked if she was a Field Spaniel without a docked tail, an American Water Spaniel, or a weird color of Irish Setter.

Now, when we take her hunting and people just see her at heel, they ask if she is a retriever mix. Or random people that just drive by and see her in the yard call her a chocolate lab. I guess I just don't see it :-)

Cora's Shadow
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby texrab » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:12 am

I get blue ticked hound with mine
texrab
Started
Started

Postby Sharpshot Kennels » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Orhunter,
I bet that you secretly own a whole bunch of spinoni seeing that you love to mention them so much!!! :D :D
Sharpshot Kennels
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:00 pm

Ha, ha.

I'm just trying to keep up with yawallac. Truth be told, I think they gotta be one of the strangest hunting dogs man has ever invented. I have absolutely no use for them and wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. Everyone has their limit as to what they consider a hunting dog and the Spinone is mine.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Margaret » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:32 pm

The Italians seem to love their hunting, I'm sure a good Spinone is a very good hunting dog. What about that other Italian pointing breed Bracco Italiano it looks like a bloodhound cross? Anyone seen one of those hunting?
Margaret
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Retrievers