Water Jump Contest

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Water Jump Contest

Postby bill10979 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:22 pm

We just returned from the local Bass Pro-and they hosted the popular water jump contest. Many dogs-from Labs to German Shepherds, but mostly represented by the retreiving breeds. I had no idea it was going on and really enjoyed it. But...
Im not sure how I feel about a Greyhound taking top honors. He holds the world record of 28feet +, and today in a strong headwind jumped 26+. Seems to me you could breed a greyhound x lab, gsp, or border collie and get an awesome jumper and probably an unfair advantage, or train more greyhounds for this and clean up.

Nice work from a GSP and a 3 leg chessie, as well. Most jumps were in the 12-17 feet range, which is a nice jump. Ive never encouraged a big entry as Im fearful of impalement with a stick, but confident we could do a nice jump. Just get me my duck, Thank you very much.
Alot of fun though.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:09 pm

biil, last january when my pup was 11 mo old i eneerd her in the big air contest at the sportmans show just to see what she could do. we had been doing this at home for fun since she was a pup.

to my surprise she won the pupp division with a 16 feet 1 inch jump on her final.

the serious boys were averaging 20 feet and the world record border collie did 21 -10.

i am a frim believer in keeping the breeds seperate as i am sure will happen soon for the reasons you stated.

that is why i am not really interested as this is all some folks do and like ft and ht it becomes more than a game :wink:

this is eider at 5 mths. she was doing about 10-12 feet then.

as i say, a lot of fun, but i prefer to keep it that way.

as for getting impaled. it can happen to any dog anywhere regardless of location and jumping off a bank or out of a boat is just as hazardous.

and despite what some think. she does not jump like this on every occasion and i never hunt duuck off of a 50 foot dock :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Jump

Postby bill10979 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:34 pm

Thats kind my point. Keep the breeds separate and level the playing field. A whippet x or greyhound x would win hands down as evidenced yesterday. A 26+ jump into a big headwind is a monster jump. FUn to watch but slightly unfair advantage really!.

Nice pic Terry, of a pup having fun.

Question for you and a dumb one at that.
My digital camera doesnt allow for action photos-it has to auto focus 1st. How are you snapping those photos? What camera do you own or recommend? Most digitals Ive seen have the same problem unless Im doing something wrong. Thanks
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:58 pm

ah yes, digital cameras.

have been in your shoes and have made some advancements but they are not cheap.

this above is a still taken from a sony digital video camera clip.

that is why the clarity is not the greatest but passable. any digital video camera is capable but not recommended for stills.

now, for digital snaps i have a couple.one is a kodak 5230?????? or soemthing like that. 5 mp and takes great stills but has some problems.

lag time between photos. take one and wait 10-15 seconds for it to ready for another.

lag time on shutter. i could never have taken this one as i would have had to press the shutter before the dog left from the start 20 feet away and hope it finally snapped before the dog hit the water.

then there is 4-5 second start up. that is when i turn the camera on or bring it out of sleep mode to get a shot and by the time it is ready to shoot the subject has long gone on its way!

also the zoom 3x and 10 x digital.for all intents and purposes the digital zoom should be ignored and not even sure why it is even mentioned. so it is just 3x. that is like 40 feet away :roll:

it does take fantastic snapshots that are hard to beat.

this is one. notice the water on the tail

now, i solved my problem with the purchase of a canon 20d. body, 75x300 IS(image stabilizer)lens, high speed card, acces. $2300 :shock: :shock: :shock:

never the less, the features are .02 second start up time. automatic sleep mode for very long battery life. burst speed of 5 frames per second for 5 seconds. 8.2 megpx. which can be enlarged to 36x48 inches in pro quality.

as well as, more shutter, special effects, interchangeable lenses and other features that you can't learn let alone master in a year or 2.

that doesn't include putting them in photo shop and refining the hell out of them.

but it can take some fine stuff once you get it harnessed.

here are some action shots with the burst. this happened faster than your eye can record it. the dog came from out of view, the camera was focused on the helper and i just started shooting in burst mode. first 5 dog was out of frame. then dog in frame for 5 and then i stopped shooting.

coming

hitting

spinning

gottcha

less than one second!

this is and example of the long distance zoom. from 40 feet away!

from 75 feet away

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby tam » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:13 pm

Wow! :shock:

I especially like that one of the hummingbird! Nice shots!

I do cameras on the other end of the spectrum: I just bought a Kodak CX7530 for $150. Super cheap. I bought one for my mom last mother's day, when the price was up more around $200. It is 5mp, 3x optical, (like terry mentioned, digital zoom is meaningless) and has some basic adjustments which can really help once you learn to use them (things like landscape, for far away, a setting for close-up, etc.). Even without fiddling with these settings, I was really surprised at how clear the pics turned out for such a (relatively) cheap camera. So after seeing all the great pics my mom took without any special training or settings, I decided I should buy myself one of these.

Of course, it would never take great zoomed-in shots like that. But for just casual snapping, it is more than adequate. My old camera (the picture I posted earlier of me with the rabbit was taken with the old camera) produces grainy pics that, even when reduced to 4x6 are too ugly to even consider putting in a frame. With the Kodak, I plan on getting lots of prints!

If I hadn't just let my domain expire, I'd post some pictures. :roll: I'll try to do so when it is up and working again.
tam
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:07 pm

Yea, I was real tired of not having an instant shutter on our digital camera about this time last year. I made a Canon 20D my Christmas present to myself. For around $500 less, you can get a Nikon 50D but you loose around 3 megapixles. The nikon is still a great camera.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Water Jump

Postby bill10979 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:46 pm

I have a 3mp camera with a video attachment. i was unsure whether or not I could do still frames from the video-maybe I can skin the cat that way. Im going to visit the local photo shop for some ideas. So many great shots Ive passed up on(kids,dogs) due to operator error or ignorance I guess.

Terry, your set up is better than a Pro. photographer that I know.
The hummingbird is awesome-all of them are really. Are you doing French Ring or KNPV testing with the Malinois?
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:58 am

bill, that was ring but several of the mals are also knpv. i train in that area for the money and do the hunting dogs for pleasure.

the 50 d nikon is a great camera. so is the canon rebel.. both can be had in the 6-1000 range all set up. the rebel comes in 6.0 like the nikon and also in 8.2 version for a few bucks more.

each can use any canon or nikon lens resepctively and that is what you should sopend your dollars on. the glass!

they also possess burst speeds slightly slower than the 20d but still more than what most would need for a while. burst is 3 fps for 3 seconds. that is still 9 frames in 3 seconds.

sony is coming out with a 10.5? mp the first of the year with a carl zeiss lens. only problem is there would be far more lens options for the nikon or canon but it will be an asskicker.

bill, the video you get on your digital still cam will be poor quality and is meant more for the backyarder.

if you want digital you can get some pretty reasonable d-video cams by sharp, jvc, sony in the 250-600 range and with a little puter tweaking will make awsome dvd's as well as stills but the mp on stills is lower range.

this is what you can do with 8.2 mp

this is a picture of a rose in my yard

this is the same rose blown up. notice the clarity. the 8.2 mp allows huge magnification with very little pixelation(little squares) you will see when looking at digital enlargments. the 10 mp sony should be awesome.

don't worry about spending so much money on such an expensive camera. get the camera you can afford with the MOST PIXELS and you can use your puter to tweak what you need for most stuff.

btw, i have taken between 5-6000 pics with the 2 cameras so far, of which maybe 100 are really good ones. the great part is it cost me nothing if i take a bad one, which you will do a lot when you are learning. you will find storing them on cd's is hard enough without printing. i have a printer i have had 2 years and never used.

when i get the ones i want of my dogs i will have a couple blown up. the rest are on the puter and it still takes a while to look at a couple of thousand pix. :lol: :lol: :lol:

go out and shop and ask questions . the technology is awesome and improves as well as gets cheaper by the day.

tam. i like the kodak because the pix are outstanding, it fits in my pocket, and it is far less sensative to damage than the 20d so i take it more places, like the duk blind.

i hope to purchase a rebel 8.2 in the next year as a back up. my wife and i shoot guns AND cameras together so another canon will come in handy as lens can be sawpped and 2 cameras are always better than one just like 2 guns are! :wink:

we'll should be able to get a pic section of our dogs before long! :wink: :lol:
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:48 pm

Great pics. I have a Canon EOS 6.8 mega pixels I think. Came with a 50 to 100mm lens, I think. Bought a 400mm zoom to go with it. It is fully auto or manual. The action shots are lists as a sports setting. Here is a picture taken at about 50yds, I think, of Curly Bill with the long lens. If I can use this camera, anyone can, I think. It will take about 10 action shots before it has to stop and download to the card. Moving shots require a better aim and steadier hand than I have with the long lens. Lost his ears somewhere.

Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby tam » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:27 pm

Nice photo, I think. :D
tam
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby hicntry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:23 pm

:lol: :lol: I know nothing about cameras. The long lens I referred to is a 400mm that I took the last shot with. This is with the normal lens.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Water Jump

Postby bill10979 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:53 pm

Hicntry-your dogs are as crazy as you. What in the hell is that dog of yours chewing on. Looks like a king snake-sorta. Man that would make me nervous. We have Timber rattlers, copperheads and massauga rattlers an hour drive near here I hunt grouse. Always a concern of mine. They are rare and in the colder weather are hibernating.

Thanks yall for the photo lesson. Time for me to upgrade. Usually my wife takes all the shots. I just pay for things. This time, its my toy.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:06 pm

:lol: :lol: Hey Bill, that's 4 mo old Shelby(Curtis' sister) came home a couple of days later and she had a six footer bull snake running around the yard with it. Figured it was time for a lesson as she was developing this fondness for snakes. I caught a 5" rattler and defanged him. Put the shock collar on several of the dogs since I had the snake. Don't know if she decided to leave them olone or just hasn't run across one since but haven't seen her with another one.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Retrievers