Pointing retrievers?

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pointing retrievers?

Postby birdfetcher » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:22 am

Hello... I'm new to the board...

I just thought I'd see if anyone here runs their retriever's upland as pointers??? I trained our 4yo lab to run as a pointer (not from pointing lines, though), and our 10mo golden is starting this fall...

That's just something that I had never heard of anyone doing... running a golden as a pointer. Anyone else heard of folks doing that??? He's actualy got one of the prettiest solid natural points I've had in a dog.

Here's my boys:
This one is the hubby, with our lab Gus.
This is our golden, Call, when we first got him.

Thanks for having me on your great board... I look forward to posting!
Carrie and her "birdfetcher"s
birdfetcher

Postby terryg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:34 am

doc has a good one!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:35 pm

Never heard of a Golden that points..Interesting though. Here's my Casey.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby birdfetcher » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:55 pm

What a gorgous dog, Doc!

Call really looks a lot like an Irish Setter in the field... This fall, I'm going to try to get some pics...

Here's Gussy... (pic from when he was a pup)...

I gotta start getting better at carrying a camera :D and get some new pics...
birdfetcher

Postby terryg » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:35 am

man bf, that's pretty good stuff right there. glad to see another person not sterotyping a breed and you are correct.

i am not aware of anybody else running a pointing swamp collie but the proof is in the pudding! :wink: :lol:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby VersatileRookie » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:37 am

That is cool stuff, my Chessie will stop on a bird also. I love it, and wish he would do more of it. I say stop because his form isn't that good.
Dog Breeding should be done by folks that are knowledgable and have Worthy Specimens
VersatileRookie
Started
Started

Postby pdub03 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:44 pm

I am considering buying a pointing lab partly to hunt quail in South Texas. Have any of you used a pointing lab in South Texas?
My concern is mainly with the heat. If I run the dug in the early morning in the off-season, can I expect it to hunt any considerable amount of time?
pdub03

Postby Doc E » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:01 pm

pdub03 wrote:I am considering buying a pointing lab partly to hunt quail in South Texas. Have any of you used a pointing lab in South Texas?
My concern is mainly with the heat. If I run the dug in the early morning in the off-season, can I expect it to hunt any considerable amount of time?

PLs (like all Labs) don't handle heat very well. If I wanted a dog that could do both upland as well as waterfowl in a hot climate, I'd go with a GWP instead.
(This post is from a "staunch" PL guy).

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:03 pm

Birdfetcher,

Im on my third Golden that has an inherit pointing instinct. The one I have now is by far the strongest at it. Mostly chukars in E OR.

I havent done anything to promote it as I dont feel its a great advantage for the type of hunting we do. And some disadvantages to it.

I do believe she could have or be trained to be a fine pointer.

It is fun to watch though. We just had a litter and one of the pups locked up solid on a planted pigeon. Tail up straight, right foot raised. Wish I had a picture. Pup was about 10 weeks old. So the genes have been passed down.

Is Smokin Red devil, Mighty Mo, razzmatazz in your dogs pedigree??

Or Holway Barty??

The pup looks great. It kills me that we didnt keep one!!

Good luck ! Hows th ehatch been this year???
Kiger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Kiger » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:04 pm

Birdfetcher,

Im on my third Golden that has an inherit pointing instinct. The one I have now is by far the strongest at it. Mostly chukars in E OR.

I havent done anything to promote it as I dont feel its a great advantage for the type of hunting we do. And some disadvantages to it.

I do believe she could have or be trained to be a fine pointer.

It is fun to watch though. We just had a litter and one of the pups locked up solid on a planted pigeon. Tail up straight, right foot raised. Wish I had a picture. Pup was about 10 weeks old. So the genes have been passed down.

Is Smokin Red devil, Mighty Mo, razzmatazz in your dogs pedigree??

Or Holway Barty??

The pup looks great. It kills me that we didnt keep one!!

Good luck ! Hows th ehatch been this year???
Kiger
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Kiger » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:11 pm

Just an update,
Had another one of the pups over the other day and planted some pigeons for him. Third bird he locked up tight for 10 seconds or so. Bird was hidden from his view.
3 month old Golden.

Guy mostly waterfowl hunts so probably will never do any pointing work with it. Probably work on more important things with him.
Kiger
Seasoned
Seasoned

pointing labs

Postby ndguy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:50 pm

I am seeing alot of pointing labs now , mine female top side is out of a certified pointing lab from kanas. It is nice when she does point she only does it about half the time in the field i dont encourage it or discourage it does not matter to me. What i like about when she points gives me time to get ready, and when i am ready i tell her to fetch it up and she goes in to get the bird up , this way i dont have to go kick the brush to get it up.
ndguy

Return to Retrievers