Is Breeding important to a dogs health pre neutering?

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Is Breeding important to a dogs health pre neutering?

Postby pagraphics » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:45 am

My friend has a lab and is about to get the dog fixed and I had heard that it is better for the health of the dog if it's allowed to have at least one litter. Is this substantiated by any studies or official medical opinions? I'd love to hear from our vet members. Thanks.
John@pagraphics.com
pagraphics

health

Postby bntsetter » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:43 pm

John,
If it is a female I believe that many studies have shown that it is best to spay her before her first heat. This is because of an increased chance of the female developing mamiary cancer as compared to females that did not under go their first heat cycle. As far as males needing to breed I don't believe there is any evidence either way. So if it is a female and the owner is only concerned with her health then have her spayed before the first heat...

Keith
bntsetter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby pagraphics » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:41 pm

Since my last question was submitted, my pal took the bitch to the vet to get the initial blood test and found that she is now in her first heat and the proceedure must be delayed. Is there any merit to breeding vs. spaying her to prevent future health problems? Thanks for the reply so quickly!
pagraphics

breeding etc

Postby bntsetter » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:12 pm

John,
My limited understanding with the study is that after the first heat there is nothing to be gained through spaying or breeding. sorry...

Keith
bntsetter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Retrievers