standard poodle potential as retriever

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

standard poodle potential as retriever

Postby g ockert » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:56 am

has anybody tried to use a standard poodle as a retriever recently? We have a 6 mo. old spayed female that we would like to train. g ockert
g ockert

Standard Poodles as Retrievers

Postby R_Man » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:36 am

Well, they are STILL retrievers from what I've been reading. I saw an article about them in Gun Dog a couple of years ago, seems they have some strains that are bred exclusively as hunting dogs. The only drawback I've heard about them is that they are so smart they get bored and will do retrieving drills WRONG just to liven things up a bit. I've also heard they have a habit of pointing birds in the uplands the first couple of years. What the heck, start training!
R_Man
Started
Started

Postby Hank » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:50 pm

I think if you check the breeder section of this web page you'll find some breeders that breed standard poodles for hunting. There aren't many but if you search around you'll find one or two. You might want to e-mail those people and ask them for training advice specific for a standard poodle.

When I was a kid we had a standard poodle. My Father didn't hunt, so the dog was just a pet but he was a natural born water dog. He would retrieve anything that you threw into the water and if it sunk to the bottom, he'd dive underwater to get it. He would have made an excellent duck dog if he'd been trained for it. Tough as nails too in spite of his "sissy" looks.
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Cedarwoods Topaz Dawn (aka Ellie)
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby larue » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:53 pm

do not know about retrieving,,but look on dunfur kennel's web page under points,,and you will see a dog that looks like a poodle pointing with great
stlye,,,
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby muddy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:31 am

g okert,,,I have a 3yr old black standard that I hunt waterfowl and upland with. He is force fetched and does a great job in icy water or on land. I would advise using some of the training techniques geared more towards Goldens. I would equate the training of the Goldens and the Poodles to be about the same. You need to use some softer techniques. I think you can train a little harsher with labs and still have good reults. Please if nothing else do everyone a favor and don't perpetuate that stupid fluffy sissy cut. Go with a 1/4 inch same legnth all over cut,,,on the ears, tail, everywhere. Looks much better. Just my 2 cents. Let me know if you have specific questions.
muddy
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby seadog » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:58 am

In 36 yrs. of hunting I have only seen 1 used for what they where intended for. I stopped my hunt walked up to the handler and shook his hand while saying "it's great seeing someone using these dogs for what they where intended for, keep the working aspect alive. Have a great day".
seadog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

standard poodle potential as a retriever

Postby conservationwarden » Thu May 04, 2006 1:37 pm

The potential is there in just about any breeding. My current hunting poodles prove that. The oldest, is now 4. He's out of two show champions neither of which ever hunted a day in their lives. His half brother, now 2, has the same dam but his sire has two master legs. They both are AKC Senior Hunters and UKC Hunting Retriever titled, each with one Finsihed leg. The younger one is a little more driven to retrieve but not much. I use the same modern training techniques and tools as any pro would for a lab. I hunt N and S Dakota every year with both for pheasant and ducks with great success. Poodles are making a come back in the hunt test arena and hunting fields. There are now 3 MH poodles, 1 CKC MH, 4 HRCH, 8 SH, and 40 JH.
conservationwarden

Re: standard poodle potential as a retriever

Postby terryg » Thu May 04, 2006 2:12 pm

conservationwarden wrote:The potential is there in just about any breeding. My current hunting poodles prove that. The oldest, is now 4. He's out of two show champions neither of which ever hunted a day in their lives. His half brother, now 2, has the same dam but his sire has two master legs. They both are AKC Senior Hunters and UKC Hunting Retriever titled, each with one Finsihed leg. The younger one is a little more driven to retrieve but not much. I use the same modern training techniques and tools as any pro would for a lab. I hunt N and S Dakota every year with both for pheasant and ducks with great success. Poodles are making a come back in the hunt test arena and hunting fields. There are now 3 MH poodles, 1 CKC MH, 4 HRCH, 8 SH, and 40 JH.

showoff! :lol: :lol:

well done!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: standard poodle potential as a retriever

Postby crackerd » Thu May 04, 2006 3:21 pm

conservationwarden wrote:Poodles are making a come back in the hunt test arena and hunting fields. There are now 3 MH poodles, 1 CKC MH, 4 HRCH, 8 SH, and 40 JH.

Running them at the poodle specialty in Maryland this year? It's again at a place where I often train, and I was tickled watching them work last year at the WCX or WDX or whatever it's called. Believe anything 15 inches or taller is considered a standard poodle for retrieving tests, and was very enjoyable to see the smaller dogs gung-ho at getting the ducks.

MG
crackerd
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby conservationwarden » Thu May 04, 2006 6:52 pm

MG, Yes, both are entered in Master, the first ever PCA National Specialty poodle only MH test. My wife also has them entered in Rally. GS
conservationwarden

Postby kyompa » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:55 pm

Of interest on working poodles.

http://www.vipoodle.org/docs/WPindex.html
kyompa

Return to Retrievers