Need advice

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Need advice

Postby MyToller » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:25 pm

We have a 1.5 year-old Toller. Good dog and family friendly. We have a real problem, though. About once per week in the middle of the night he vomits. The distraction and destruction are becoming serious problems as he sleeps indoors.

We feed him a good diet and do not overfeed. I think the problem lies in his propensity to chew anything, and I mean anything. We stop him while indoors, but while unsupervised outdoors we have no idea what he might eat or chew. We occassionaly give him a raw bone, and there may be a correlation, but maybe not.

Vet cannot sight a specific probem, so we're left to clean up regular messes. The family is coming to its wit's end.

Any advice on any level is welcome. We want to keep the handsome and cuddly guy.
MyToller

Postby gsphunter » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:38 pm

Vomitting may be a problem, but if the vomitting is a result of the chewing then there is your real problem. Chewing can result from boredom. Do you train the dog? Exercise it regularly? A puppy gets bored just like a baby and things start going in the mouth. Try to keep the dog's mind busy so he isn't looking for something to do (chew) all the time.

What kind of food are you feeding, and have you tried switching this?

Brian
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am. -- Unknown
gsphunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Respnse to MyToller

Postby DD4ME » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:08 pm

Glad you came looking for advice.

Remove the variables.

If you can't be with dog when outside then put it in an outdoor kennel, on a slab, with dog house, water, etc. Dog can't get into trouble and you know its safe.

Let it out when you can be with it.

If you think you are in control of dog's environment and its still puking, start again at top.

dave
DD4ME
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby terryg » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:43 am

how many times a day and when do you feed him? what is he puking up?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Retrievers