Lab as a trap line dog

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Lab as a trap line dog

Postby Wildman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:30 pm

Hey everyone hoping maybe you-all can help me with a question one of the old trappers around here told me that one of the best trapline dogs he had was a lab he used it to track mink skunk beaver and muskrat to their dens and when traps had been drag off the old man said he like them because they were about the smartest dog he had seen what would you all say the only thing i can see as a problem would be tracking a trap that had something like a coon fox or coyote and getting hurt also how would you say one would do for shed and turkey hunting
Wildman
Started
Started

Re: Lab as a trap line dog

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:58 pm

We got a DD because we weren't sure if we'd find another versatile lab. Our old lab tracks and trees coon, was raised with a pair of coonhounds. She was a great Hunter but there's so many mediocre breeders anymore we figured a DD would be easier.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Wildman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:10 pm

I was thinking about the d.d but I heard that they can be a hand full and a lot of time they will want to kill anything they find I hear a lab can be a little easier to handle
Wildman
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:28 pm

The average DD will far out perform the average lab for tracking/hunting fur. And yes they will want to kill what is at the end of the track. With excellent training you could teach the dog to come out when you command it so as to preserve fur. But it will take training to overcome what a DD would do naturally otherwise.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Retrievers