Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrivers

Retriever breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrivers

Postby R_Man » Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:07 pm

What can someone tell me about these handsome dogs? How do they do in the uplands? Would a person have to clip all that hair off to keep from catching every weed seed in the county? I can't say I've ever seen anything but a picture but I'm looking for a smaller dog that can retrieve waterfowl AND hunt in the uplands. Any information is appreciated.
R_Man
Started
Started

Postby fulton » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:29 am

I hear they are fun to watch. I am not positive, but I think they kinda swim out and heard the ducks that are allready on the water and push them to the gunner.

As far as a small dog that will serve as a waterfowl dog and be a good upland dog, I would go with a proven line of Springer Spanials. I have hunted over several Springers and they are a GREAT pheasant dog. I have never hunted with one for waterfowl, but I here they love the water and they are also natural retrievers.
If Guns cause crimes, then Pencils cause mis-spelled words.
fulton
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby R_Man » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:14 am

Fulton,
An English Springer is right up there in the running, but I'm wondering about the coat. I know they'd be fine in the early season, but later in the year I'm thinking that their coat would just soak up too much water. No matter what I decide on, I'll get a neoprene vest for the dog, as think it helps keep ANY dog warmer. I won't be out at the blind when its 10 degrees and a 25 mph wind howling, as I've gotten at less gung-ho in my "older" age. My concerns about the coat on the other dogs in the running (Am. Water Sp. Boykin Sp., Nova Scotia DTR) are about the uplands: would I spend 2 hours after every hunt cleaning up the dog or end up giving them a field clip? I probably spend about 60% of the season duck hunting and the rest pheasant hunting, it will be closer to 50/50 wehn I nail down some better pheasant spots. I'm leaning towards a flusher as pheasants tend to give pointing dogs (and flushers as well) fits and blind spells!
R_Man
Started
Started

Postby slistoe » Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:33 am

My impression is that the show folks caught on to the Duck Tollers in a hurry. I have only seen two in the field and neither of them were of any benefit to the hunting party. The ones I have seen in the show looked like high maintenance field coats - similar to a show Golden.

They are supposed to lure offshore ducks in close enough for shooting by playing antics along the shoreline. I think this is encouraged by throwing things which it plays with and brings back.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

FIELD & STREAM

Postby ano » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:23 am

There was a recent article on them in Fiel d & Stream. The were mentioned as one of the top retrieving dogs along w/ the lab, chessie, and springer spaniel.
ano
Started
Started

A little info

Postby Bing » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:40 pm

Helped a friend do some training with a toller, seemed to have good natural marking skills, very good swimmer. had good desire in the field and water. Can't tell much only working with one example but the dog did seem nice to me, although I do think the coat would be a hinderance in the field. The story as I know it is that waterfowl will swim in to check out fox playing on shore do to their natural curiousity and that this dog was bred to the color and size specifically to mimimic this and are allowed to toll outside the blind to lure the birds into gun range. I believe for this purpose they are a great little dog.. In by experience tolling geese does work! Hope this helps.
Bing
Bing
Pup
Pup

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:22 am

Never seen a NST hunt, but the only one I've met was an intellegent little guy that I imagine could be trained to do most anything. What I can't imagine is that beatiful coat being anything but a hassle in the uplands. Would think that a higher maintenance proposition than the other alternatives you've mentioned. Whether it's worth it is something only you can answer.

If you go to the Gun Dog forum at www.duckhunter.net, you'll find a thread with a number of NST owners posting. Believe it's called "Strange Breed". Try: http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthre ... adid=77801

Likely someone there can offer more than we have.
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Retrievers