cedarwood pup

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby weckguy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:41 pm

Bit of a pup update. Okay guys I'm 6 foot tall and 45 years old and have had enough dogs over those years to not get all mushy and crazy over a pup. that having been said i'm crazy about this lil' pup. What attitude and drive and at 8 weeks. happy walking him yesterday, he's searching, nose everywhere, flashed a tripod point 90 degrees to a sparrow in a low bush. Come on! He's 8 weeks! He's typey with wonderful furnishings. What a breed all this and sits in my daughters lap and seems to enjoy The Bachelor. Well so much for perfect

Also kudos and thanks to Bill Athens for the pp info pack. really appreciate the info, plan on joining Capa.
weckguy
Started
Started

Postby Hank » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:41 pm

"..that having been said i'm crazy about this lil' pup."

I know just how you feel. They really get under your skin quick don't they? :D Don't forget a picture (or two)!
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Cedarwoods Topaz Dawn (aka Ellie)
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby weckguy » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:55 pm

Ok hank and others, I'm playing hallway fetch anf retrieve with pup, while he returns really well, my oh my he keeps a hard clamp on the item. hates giving it up. thought/suggestions?
weckguy
Started
Started

Postby Tony » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:15 pm

Whatever you do, don't wrench it out of his mouth! I usually encourage them to crawl up into my lap when they retrieve something to me, then I praise and pet them until they either drop it or I wedge my finger in the corner of their mouth so they drop it. Then I throw it again!!!

The secret is to let them think that it was their idea to give it up. :wink:
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ME » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:24 am

Praise the dog while it is holding the bumper for at least 10 seconds. Then say GIVE and take it from him. Pinch his gums just enough to make him let go and praise him when he does. Then do it again and again. You are setting the rules even at this young age and if the dog is as well breed as some may say then it should be able to handle this.
Don't be a liberal
http://www.kgov.com
http://www.tcuplandhunt.com
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
1) Thou Shalt not Murder (this includes Abortion)
2) Thou Shalt not commit Adultery
3) Thou Shalt not steal (this includes having the government steal for you)
4) Thou shalt not bear false wittness (purgery)
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hank » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:47 am

Weck, what Tony and Me have told you are good suggestions. I would add that when you take the bumper from the pup don't pull it away but push a little. If then pup doesn't let go, then pinch it's lip etc. If you pull on the bumper the pup will think you want to play a game of tug of war. My pup will reliably retrieve to hand anything you want. The problem I have now is with a dead bird. She retrieves it to hand but not without chomping on it and shaking it up first. I have to go to the UK on business for a few weeks in December, so I am thinking about boarding her with a pro during that time to help get her steadier on point and to help to get her to stop chomping on birds. The first couple of training sessions I will attend myself before leaving town, so if I learn anything else that might help you I will let you know.
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby weckguy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:46 pm

Tony, ME, Hank,

thank you for your thoughtful input. much appreciated.

Weck
weckguy
Started
Started

Postby weckguy » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:35 pm

just a new year update on this pup. He's everything i imagined and more. What a breed. What an in house personality. Calm, biddable, fun loving, common sense, always nera but seldom underfoot, has favorite but loves all. Shows great seek sense on happy walks. Great breed great pup, I'm sure plenty of challenges lie ahead but if he never pointed a bird (which I can't imagine being the case) he's the finest buddy/family dog I've evr had.

weck
weckguy
Started
Started

Who is the sire and dam?

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:38 pm

Weckguy:
Who is the sire and dam of you pup? I followed Bob's dogs for awhile but have sort of lost track of them, now that I have "The Setter" (or does he have me ....)Anyway, I like to keep in touch with his breeding program, I don't dare mention another dog at home or I'll get scalped!
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby weckguy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:50 am

Quincy Dan and I believe playgirl. If its not its zinfandel. very similar pedigrees, both callie girls, i'll have to check my records. he remains a very cool pup. wow, does he have prey drive. i remain 110% happy with this pup. he's a great family member as well. he locked up on a mourning dove in the driveway this morning. a thing o' beauty.

weck
weckguy
Started
Started

Postby Hank » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:59 pm

Weck,

Get him out to so some formal training this spring at a local NAVHDA Chapter or similar dog club if you can. You're next step is going to be to put some control on him. Their prey drive is so high that they just phase everything else out once they see a bird. You have to teach them that they still need to listen to YOU, no matter what, bird or not. That's the point I'm at with my dog. She is in lock step with me all the way unless there is a bird in front of her face!
Hank
bigpharma2002@yahoo.com
Pudelpointer
Hank
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to Pointers