Choosing Breed/breeder

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Choosing Breed/breeder

Postby HUNTNDOG » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:27 pm

We are the lucky owners of a 12 y.o. GSP (who has her AKC Senior Hunter title) and we are contemplating getting a second dog this spring. The problem is that #1 really has an incredible intellect--when you send her out to fetch the morning paper you can specify which one--NY Times or Newday (although she doesn't do the crossword puzzle!) and we are have been spoiled rotten by it. She never had a housebreaking or chewing problem, learned the wireless fence in one shock and has really been all-around unbelievable. She is our second GSP, the first was was off-the-wall for 12 years!
My husband wants to stick with GSPs but I am open to a slower dog (after all, we are 12 years older too!!) that will be as intelligent and calm as ours is now and will be able to get her MH (due to OUR health problems at the time we didn't pursue it for our DogWonder and deeply regret it). We do not personally hunt but loved training, field and hunt testing our dog. We would be interested in NAVDA events also.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou! [/b]
HUNTNDOG

Postby MCTuna » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:58 pm

If you are thinking about NAVHDA events and AKC go for a NAVHDA Sire and Dame. Only because of the Swiming/Duck search thing! I have been around quite a few GSP's and I wouldn't say it is the norm for the dog to not be a little excitable, but that adds to their hunting and testing sucess.
I know of a great NAVHDA breeding of a GSP.
The Sire is a UT I and VC dog may also be MH
The dame is a NA I and hunting dog.
I will PM you about the phone # for Dave, give him a call.

I like good hunting Weims because they work a little closer, while not being boot lickers they are also very smart, and are great with my children. The problem here is you need to do a lot of homework and contact the right people to get a good hunting Weim only 20% are bred for hunting most are show side! If you want info about some Breeders for Weims I will be happy to pass them to you.
Tuna
"Sam" Grey Wynn Franklin's Freedom SDX,RDX, NAVHDA UT 1 (204)
"Delilah" Westend's Buck'n the Wind SD,NSD, NAVHDA UT 2 (200)
MCTuna
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby larue » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:48 pm

I cannot stress enough for you to go see the adult dogs work,if you are
buying a pup...It is amazing how different dogs can be,using the same terms to describe them...I just had what I call a close working cooperative dog,,run way to big for a person...who I am sure would call her a big running dog.....I have seen dogs called high desire dogs,,put me to sleep...do not go on titles alone...go find the type of dogs that you want...all fc's,mh's,ut 1's,vc's, are not the same....go find the type that you want...but you can only do this by seeing the dogs work....
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby MCTuna » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:50 pm

larue wrote:I cannot stress enough for you to go see the adult dogs work,if you are
buying a pup...It is amazing how different dogs can be,using the same terms to describe them...I just had what I call a close working cooperative dog,,run way to big for a person...who I am sure would call her a big running dog.....I have seen dogs called high desire dogs,,put me to sleep...do not go on titles alone...go find the type of dogs that you want...all fc's,mh's,ut 1's,vc's, are not the same....go find the type that you want...but you can only do this by seeing the dogs work....

I say this all the time but you GSP guys are lucky, for me it would be a trip on a plane to most breeders unles I wanted to get one from the 2-3 local (within 4 hrs) in another year or so if the Dame has a successful litter and has enough pups for all on the List. I envy you for that. I hope that some day it will change!
Tuna
MCTuna
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby dualgwp » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:28 pm

Since you are so happy with your current dog, why not contact the breeder and see if they have something related? Many times "lines" of dogs will have very similar triats, such as being calm and good house dogs.

If you are considering another breed, I suggest a well bred GWP from a breeder whose dogs are calm and are housedogs. Believe it or not, they do exist, and they also make great hunting companions.

contrary to what you may hear, not every GWP out there wants to eat the neighbors dogs and children. Most are very intelligent and quick learners.

Good luck in your search....
Dualgwp
dualgwp
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby larue » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:09 pm

mctuna..and I say to you,,since a dog lives for 12 years or so,,and
if you are 40,,then you are only going to have 4 or more dogs,every ten years,,I think that the money spent up front,driving or flying to see
the dogs is just plain smart...I will never buy another pup without at least seeing the dogs work...that fc wiem might be a renegade,,or that vc wiem
might be a real pig..only by seeing the dogs can you decide,,,titles are great,,but they do not tell you the whole story..actually,with fewer
good wiem's out there,,I would think that seeing the dogs would be even more important,,than with gsp's..
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby MCTuna » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:39 pm

larue wrote:actually,with fewer
good wiem's out there,,I would think that seeing the dogs would be even more important,,than with gsp's..

Good point!

One advantage I guess in the Weim community is that it is closer nit and with less choice and less contacts you can ask people you trust.

My first Weim I asked the breeder to make the final decision. I asked him witch pup reminded him of his great Champion!
That is risky but I am trusting :oops:
Tuna
MCTuna
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby larue » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:05 pm

mc,I hope it works out for you,,I have seen way too many people
say what it takes to sell pups,cars,horses,to take there words anymore...
I guess that I am way too synical in my old age...
I just do not trust people anymore..dogs do not lie,that is why I must see the dogs,not the words of poeple who own them...
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby MCTuna » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:49 pm

larue wrote:mc,I hope it works out for you,,I have seen way too many people
say what it takes to sell pups,cars,horses,to take there words anymore...
I guess that I am way too synical in my old age...
I just do not trust people anymore..dogs do not lie,that is why I must see the dogs,not the words of poeple who own them...

We are not far apart! I do trust some people and they are who I councel with! But you are correct the best bet is to see what you are in for!

You know what is funny though, What some would concider a boot licker others would concider ranging an what some would concider out of controle others would concider just right! It takes all kinds! As I always say DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
Tuna
MCTuna
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:17 pm

larue,

Just because a dog has a life expectancy of 12 years doesn't mean that they will live that long at my house if they aren't living up to my standards; life is too short to put up with mediocre dogs.

There is a lot to be said for seeing the parents perform before you purchase one of their offspring, but considering the cost and the time of such a trip, I would prefer to do my homework and take a chance on a pup.
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby HuntDog » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:41 pm

Hey HUNTNDOG,

I like that name! :wink:

I have a 4.5 y.o. female that sounds a lot like your female you have now. She was potty trained when I got her at 8 weeks and only chewed briefly and nothing of value. My male pup I kept out of her first litter is more like his dad and your first GSP, off the wall and hard-headed. So, it sounds like you know the two extremems of this breed. Why do you want to possibly switch breeds? That would change your whole world. But, if you want to check out new breeds, make a short-list of what you want in a dog and possible breeds, then narrow that down by figuring out which ones have health issues inherent to the breed (blindness, deafness, hips, elbows...) and disqualify them. Life is too short to take that kind of gamble on a dog. Then, research the remaining 3 or 4 breeds that you might have and I mean RESEARCH! Read every book you can find on the breeds and talk to people you know and trust that own them. By this time you should be able to draw a conclusion on what you feel is the perfect breed to fit your lifestyle. Now all you have to do is find a breeder that has the lines you think you want.

No problem, right? :crazyeyes:

Where are you at? If you decide on another GSP. PM me and I can point you toward a pup that should probably closely resemble the one you own now.

Good luck,

Michael
HuntDog
Started
Started

Return to Pointers