The secret of my English Pointer

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

The secret of my English Pointer

Postby BICOTOCH » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:57 am

My English Pointer "male" 6 months and 7 days old seems not interested in birds at all. I tought him to retrieve a toy then a quail in my training ground and he was doing fine.
When I took him to quail hunting where there is a lot of thorns he escaped and returned back to my car. Then I repeated taking to the same field 3 times and the result was the same. I felt sad. His nose is vey good and the dog is very nice.

Afterall I decided and sent him to someone who knows how to train dogs for upland hunting, he owns a lots of dogs in his farm. After 7 days he phoned me and told me that my dog doesn't want to hunt and instead of running and searching for birds like other dogs he was just walking behind him all the time knowing that there were a lot a lot of quails.

I don't know what to do with this dog, I'm lost, I tried 7 trained dogs ready for hunting and I gave them back to their owners. I want to focus on my dog whom I like. I have 2 English Pointer the one I am talking about "male" and a female who started just yestreday to point quails.

Please help and advise me what to do.
As for reading books, my brain is full I red a lots of books and the practical way is really different when a dog is stubborn.

Thanks
Hussein
BICOTOCH
Started
Started

questions

Postby Chris_Smith » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:43 am

Do your dogs parents hunt?

What does your breeder say about the situation?

I would forget THAT field until your dog shows you some desire to hunt.

I would try to find a nice easy field and I would try to get the dog fired up.

Make the experiences fun... no pressure

I would try to achieve some success one small step at a time.

Just encourage him to run right now let him check out the smells and such.
Chris_Smith
Started
Started

Chris

Postby BICOTOCH » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:36 pm

Thanks.

Yes the parents hunt. Her mother died 15 days ago, she was my best hunting dog and companion.

Chris, we don't have real breeders here in Lebanon. We have only one located at the top mountain of Beirut far away frfom my city.

The man who said that my dog does not want to hunt is not a breeder, he just has the experience as I know. But, one can not judge a dog in 6 days !!

I think you are right. I should give time without pressure.
I will take him tomorrow to the field far from thorns, and I will report here what I see, I have a feeling that my dog will be a good hunting dog, it is just a feeling.
Hussein
BICOTOCH
Started
Started

Chris

Postby BICOTOCH » Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:19 am

Hi, I am still waiting for your reply with interest. Thank you.
Hussein
BICOTOCH
Started
Started

Postby Jusitn » Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:11 am

does your pup know what he is looking for when he's in the field? you may want to take a quail and hold it by the feet and let the bird flap around above the dog. Has your dog seen a bird flush before? He may just need more experiance, get him into an easy field and let him flush a couple birds. That might build his desire for birds.
Jusitn
Started
Started

Bicotoch

Postby Chris_Smith » Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:10 pm

you wrote ..
I think you are right. I should give time without pressure.
I will take him tomorrow to the field far from thorns, and I will report here what I see, I have a feeling that my dog will be a good hunting dog, it is just a feeling

I am not sure how to answer your post.

It has been close to a month since your post.

How has the training been going? Have you seen progress? Have you been working with your dog?

How has the bird exposure been?
Chris_Smith
Started
Started

Return to Pointers