Can the Grey Ghost still hunt???

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby MCTuna » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:51 am

My Pup is from Westend Kennell in OR Her Dad is "Gus" the #1 FT Weim in 2002 #3 in 2001. I got her started (7mo old) from Myron and Debra. (Not my choice wanted a 7 week old but couldn't turn down this Dog!)

last night she nailed a point at about 35-40 feet that is no BS! It made me SAD for my male who usually is around 15-20 feet 25 at the most. Cant let her get all the points when they brace in Maine for Grouse in Oct.

My Male is line-bread from "Zack" Grey Wynn Bad to the Bone! Grey Wynn Kennell in NJ. He is a pleasure to work with even though he is a Hard Head!!! He got his NAVHDA UT at 2 yr 5 mo. Very young for a weim. I was able to put a lot of pressure on him and he bounces back Great drive and desire strong as a Mule (Big as one also).
As I had offered you before contact me any time colantuno@comcast.net I don't profess to know a lot but I could put you in contact with those who will know. I could also give you some pointers in picking out a good dog.

You said in an earlier post that you were not looking till next spring/summer. Unlike many of the other Versatile/pointing Dogs a year to search and get on a waiting list is not to long for Weims.
Good luck!
Tuna
"Sam" Grey Wynn Franklin's Freedom SDX,RDX, NAVHDA UT 1 (204)
"Delilah" Westend's Buck'n the Wind SD,NSD, NAVHDA UT 2 (200)
MCTuna
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bigshrimp » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:40 pm

Thanks again for the info :)

You said that you'll be hunting grouse in Maine... :idea: that got me thinking to ask you as a hunter who uses Weims about the game found in Ontario (probably not much different to Maine).

I would like a dog optimally to hunt for Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock, Snipe, Pheasant, Rabbit, the odd quail and birds from other areas if I get the opportunity to go, a couple times a year in the duck blind, blood tracking, and last but not least a good buddy!

Do you think a Weim from a hunting line is capable of fitting the bill?

Thanks again for your email address and the offer to help me out. I will keep it on file and don't be surprised if I contact you in about a year or so....I'm just not sure WHEN I'll exactly have the space to train a Weim (the way I would want to train it!).
Bigshrimp
Master Poster
Master Poster

Right next door

Postby chiendog » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:14 am

Bigshrimip,

I am right next door in Manitoba and hunt the very game species, plus sharptails and huns, that you listed....with two weims.

When you are good and ready, drop me a line at craig@prairieview.ca and I would be happy to point you in the right direction to find a good weim, maybe even one with long hair!
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigshrimp » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:42 am

WOW...all these contacts...this will make life much easier when I'm actually ready for a hunting companion!

So...it seems that the Grey Ghost still has what it takes but you just have to do your homework!

What part of Manitoba are you from? My wife is from Winnipeg and her Mother's family is from a little town on the Minn border called South Junction (just south of Steinback).
Bigshrimp
Master Poster
Master Poster

Prairieboy

Postby chiendog » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:21 pm

I'm in the big city of Winnipeg, currently the home of J-Lo and Richard Gere who are in town making a movie...and blocking the loading dock to my studio!

I need a lawyer!

or maybe I'll just send my dog over there to hump J-Lo's leg and pee in Gere's beer.

I bet there are lots of ruffed grouse where your inlaws are from...
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby MCTuna » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:31 pm

Bigshrimp
Yes to all of your questions (Iffy on Duck depends on how cold it is Early/Late season) I ahve hunted Him in Late season with a Nice coat on him in Upstate PA (sim weather to where you are) but I also wraped him in a blanket when he came back to the blind. GWP - PP or Grif would be better for late season Duck. As a companion most dogs become that but I wouldn't trade my Weims for any other. (Well we do have a mixed breed that was my wife and I's first baby so I wouldn't trade her) Hope you get more room to trane one You sound like a person that would do the right thing and trane a good dog.

Chiendog
The heck with that don't send the Dog, go over youself and hump J-Lo's leg. But watch out for Gere from some of the rumors he may try to return the favor to you.
Tuna
"Sam" Grey Wynn Franklin's Freedom SDX,RDX, NAVHDA UT 1 (204)
"Delilah" Westend's Buck'n the Wind SD,NSD, NAVHDA UT 2 (200)
MCTuna
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bigshrimp » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:30 pm

Just reading over some of these old posts bc I've got the Weim bug again :oops:

Wanted to add a fitting conclusion to the original question:

"Can the Grey Ghost still hunt??"

Definitely YES from MCTuna's 204 UT I score!! :D

I'm sold 8)
Bigshrimp
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dakota Kid » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:04 pm

I know I really late getting into this question. I hunt weims in SD and in Iowa. I also actively breed them. I did an internet search about 2 months ago to just look at what is out their. I e-mailed a few people. The results that I got back were not what I expected. They were advertising them as great hunters. They hunted these dogs very little. To find a breeder that raises weims to hunt are hard to find. I feel very proud in the fact that I have hunting weim and she is great.

Next litter is for this spring
Dakota Kid

Previous

Return to Pointers