Pudelpointer Breeders Not On Nappa Breeders List

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Pudelpointer Breeders Not On Nappa Breeders List

Postby JASmith » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 am

Charli wrote:Please expound on the definition of "working dog" in the context of the PP. Are you referring to the lineage of imported lines or a current application?

I believe he's trying to say that PP's have been very protected by hunters, and you won't be finding 'show' lines. At least that is what we all hope.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:05 pm

I would advise you to seek out a puppy that comes from a breeding that follows the guidelines of NAPPA or a similar organization or an imported dog. To this point, it is their promoting adherence to set guidelines and pooling of breeding stock among members that strives to maintain what the PP what is. I understand the wait can be daunting but it will most likely be worth the wait. If a Cedarwoods dog is what you really want I would suggest you email Bob Farris and explain that to him and why. If in fact he is not planning on a liter, this year he most certainly could point you in the right direction. His dogs are represented in many other Kennels.
Willie
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 am

The cool thing about NAVHDA is that you can go on and research pedigrees, hip X Rays, test scores, etc...I'm told that you can do the same with JGHV dogs but I'm not sure.

Ask about for a pedigree, and go nuts. X Ray, teeth, etc, are all part of the searchable data available on the NAVHDA website. And, the test scores. Test scores aren't everything but I think they are valuable in terms of the macro-data they provide. And, you see some context...A dog that's tested at 6 months old vs a dog that runs its NA test two days before aging out.

I would avoid getting hung up on which club, or alliance, the breeder associates with (or doesn't.) If the parents/grandparents have the performance you desire, are free of genetic defects, then proceed.

In any case, a breeder that puts a high emphasis on testing (in NAVHDA or JGV) is a good thing. It means that he wants to gather data on what he's producing to learn more down the line.

I spoke with a Griffon breeder this past weekend, that breeds conformation show line Griffs, though she does screen for homes that hunt. She said that the NAVHDA registry is the best thing going for breeders that are concerned about what they're producing. You can see if a dog has a propensity for throwing bad bites, coats, etc...Or see the comment "people shy, wouldn't let judge inspect teeth," or "tried to bite judge."
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Sniperspud » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm presently on 3 wait lists for a pudelpointer pup with the hopes that one of the 3 will come through next spring. bwjohn mentioned in a post that it is possible to go to the source (German registry) and possibly get a dog that way. Unfortunately i'm new to the site and unable to pm him at this point. Does anyone have any experience with going the german registry route or could bwjohn pm me?
Thanks in advance
Sniperspud
Pup
Pup

Postby roosterbrews » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:25 am

My PP is from a NAPPA Breeder and he is an awesome dog. I train every week with two PP breeders who are not NAPPA breeders. They train and test and hunt full time and choose not to deal with what NAPPA requires or the politics involved. If I was looking for a PP and was to look at breeders I don't know I would be looking at pedigree of course and I want to see them testing and training their dogs. Not just having them tested but doing so themselves. I will ask about hip tests and if the eyes were done. I don't have a problem with NAAPA and if the breeder I selected was a NAAPA breeder fine but I don't see it as a requirement.
roosterbrews
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:14 pm

I do not know of any so called politics involved within NAPPA.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:06 am

As the owner of a minority breed that is not represented by a North American breed club or alliance (hoping that changes one day), here are some things to consider if you decide to purchase a pup from a "unsanctioned" breeding.

OFA/Penn Hip and elbows, Dogs must be 24+ months. Ask for a copy of the report.

Epilepsy runs in PP, I'd like written assurance or test results on sire and dam showing that sire and dam are free of that condition/pre-disposition.

Copy of hunt test results- Photos and assurances of "great hunter" really mean little unless you're able to see the dogs work.

Bench show results, show conformity to the breed standard, things like size, bite, coat, and temperament. Registration in most organizations is simply an assurance of pedigree, not of confirmation.

Finding out how many breeding age dogs are owned and why the particular dogs are being bred is important.

I've seen breeders (trading on the scarcity of pups) try to fluff/bluff past this criteria.

None of the above guarantees a perfect pup, but, it goes a long way.

Best of luck!
Urban_Redneck
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:13 pm

I've never heard of a PP with epilepsy in last 16 years.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:32 am

Calvinator wrote:I've never heard of a PP with epilepsy in last 16 years.

Glad you clarified as I haven't heard of that in PP's in 5 years either.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Same here. I talked to a pile of people (both breeders and owners) before I bought a PP, and I don't recall a single mention of epilepsy.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby santaklaus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:04 pm

bwjohn wrote:by picking pudelpointers you stepped into it.

there are several groups in the US vying for the top spot/group/registry/alliance/breed group, what ever you want to call it.

With Pudelpointers, I think you have a really high chance of the dog being at least a very adequate hunter, no matter which group or person you get it from. With a few caveats. Overall the breed is still very much dominated by working dogs or not very far from it at all.

You could skip all of the different groups in the US and just import a dog from the source, a dog from the German Registry. If that interests you at all, contact me via pm and I will give a contact that could get you started in the right direction.

brandon

Can I also get this contact?
santaklaus
Pup
Pup

Previous

Return to Pointers