Griffon Snob !

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Griffon Snob !

Postby Birddogs » Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 pm

There are a few Facebook pages with the word Griffon in the title.
I have gone through all of these , always asking if this
page is exclusive to Korthals Griffon. No response.There are a few wire faced
dogs with Griffon in their designation . Even the Hunting Wire Hair
Pointing Griffon Page has a melange of cross breeds on it .
I'm still confused how the Cesky Fousek has become the Bohemian
Griffon but I'm sure Chiendog could enlighten me ...
I believe without knowing it, I have become a Korthals
Elitist. I reluctantly went on Facebook when a hunting friend
started a page Canadian Upland Hunting but I was right in my
Initial thoughts about FB . Hairy dogs with cute hats , no shortage .
Birddogs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Griffon Snob !

Postby orhunter » Thu May 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Actually it's the other way around in the Czech Republic. The Bohemian Wirehaired Pointing Griffon became the Cesky Fousek. The American "Club" does not want to give up the word Griffon in their name so they picked that to remain exclusive.

Facebook has no rules, expect the worst. My wife follows a Griff Blog, Griffology, that has some very nice looking dogs, some actually hunt. She joined another one that may have been called something like, The Western Hunting Griffon, but hasn't posted anything. Drop the word "hunting." It's Western Griffons.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Just-a-bird-hunter » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:31 pm

The Bohemian Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Club dogs are Fouseks. They are a satellite club of the Czech Fousek Club. There are some lines of that club with some original Griffon in there: even at that they are over 90% Fousek. Most of the litters offered this year are from Czech Fouseks; save for the line(s) left with a little Griffon in them. From what I have read, the Fousek was one of the founding dogs of the Korthal's Griffon. I don't why those people have to have the word "Griffon" in their title; seems a bit daft to me. But, what do I know!
Just-a-bird-hunter
Just-a-bird-hunter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:13 pm

orhunter wrote:Facebook has no rules, expect the worst. My wife follows a Griff Blog, Griffology, that has some very nice looking dogs, some actually hunt. She joined another one that may have been called something like, The Western Hunting Griffon, but hasn't posted anything. Drop the word "hunting." It's Western Griffons.

Your confusing two different pages. There is a Western Griffons page and a Hunting Wirehaired Pointing Griffon page. The later is run by George Decosta and has plenty of hunters on that page. It is honestly my favorite page.

If I felt the post was just an honest mistake that would be the end of it., but I feel this is another in a long line of snarky comments by Harvey regarding griff's out west.

Contrary to Harvey's comments, there are plenty of hard hunting good griff's out here. Plenty that are scoring well on hunt tests, and plenty conquering the chukar mountain. A lot of breeders have worked hard to get better genetics in their dogs out here, even if they are not NAHVDA breeders. I know in the last ten years there has neen an infusion of blood from both French and Midwestern lines.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:05 am

When I read on the Griffology page awhile back that some lady was informing the following she was happy about some breeder who was breeding to "really nice Griffon pets" and the litter should make great house pets. Of course, I had to open my big mouth and ask about hunt test scores, or what they hunt ....oh boy I did it ! I was informed to come out of the cave and that not all Griffs need to hunt to be worthy to breed....about lost it.
Or when I was told that the show ring, not the field ability was a the most important decisions in breeding a Griff....

I give up. I'll keep hangin up on people that inquire about a pup, that dont' hunt !

I am a Griff snob....and proud of it !!

Griffman
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:37 pm

The thing about breeding dogs is...that everyone has a different opinion about which baby should get thrown out with which bath.

In this country, for better AND for worse (and I truly mean that,) there are few rules (if any) on who can breed what within a breed.

That’s good and bad.

Conformation has a place...but what role it plays is bound to be different between different buyers, breeders, etc...

The one thing that dedicated show breeders have for them is usually generations of health certain...

The flip side is how many hunters, or even pet owners, could give two chits about bone structure, gait, or head shape? As long as the dog doesn’t resemble a possum, who cares?

The german systems have the benefit that a 12 o’clock rail is totally irrelevant, as is a dog hard wired to sprint to the horizon..but I’ve heard enough to know that the various breed clubs, (VDD-gna, VDk, Klm...) cause their own set of problems, and can easily be the cause of a breeds failure to thrive.

I’m not convinced that one system is better than the other...no duck hunter should have a problem finding a good laborador...no one struggles to find a well bred GSP...or Vizsla or Brittany or Setter.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:02 pm

Dave:

Thanks for the clarification. Figured I mess it up. Wife is the one who pays attention to that stuff. Have tried to get her to post but she won't.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Pointers