Pudlepointer

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pudlepointer

Postby Dflorea » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:18 pm

I visited a breeder(not going to mention who) by he told that PP breed has a propensity to eat who foreign objects and will frequently (more often than other breeds) require surgery to remove the object. I did some reading and saw that some breeds are more prone to "pica" (eating foreign objects). I did not see PP as a breed listed with this tendency. But I've got to take the breeders word for it. I had one lab that did this and was referred to a vet as a "garbage eater".I was about 30 years ago and the bill A was around $800 and the dog died. Needless to I did not go with a PP because of the pica thing along with the price and waiting period for a pup. I read that PIca was vitamin deficiency and or a behavioral problem brought in by boredom and can be treated. Any experience with this?
Dflorea
Pup
Pup

Re: Pudlepointer

Postby blue04 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:15 pm

This has no been my personal experience, nor have I ever heard anything about PPs being more prone than other breeds to eat things. In my experience, all dogs rate about 8.5-9 (on a 1-10 scale, where 10 is 100% likely to eat things they shouldn't).

I don't think that PPs are any greater or lesser risk than any other dogs I've owned or worked with.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:14 pm

Never heard of such a thing. Recommend flushing toilet after using.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dflorea » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:20 pm

Alright then! That's pretty much what I thought. Subject flushed!
Dflorea
Pup
Pup

Postby Willie T » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:15 pm

My Pudelpointer puppy ate a battery powered cricket cat toy. When he moved a cricket sound emanated from his belly. Got him to throw it up with the aid of hydrogen peroxide. My lab ate a lug nut when it was a puppy. So there you go.....puppy's do some dumb stuff. I think any of the breeds with a strong retrieving instinct will pick up about anything when they are young.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bullfrog » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:27 pm

My younger PP had a sock in his stomach when he ran NA. He was a nut like that but it didn't bother him much. Everything just passed through. His favorite was anything that stunk. He's grown out of that phase. It's just a puppy thing. He hasn't ate socks or panties for quite a while now :) My older one never cared about eating clothing.
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JASmith » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:03 pm

bullfrog wrote:My younger PP had a sock in his stomach when he ran NA. He was a nut like that but it didn't bother him much. Everything just passed through. His favorite was anything that stunk. He's grown out of that phase. It's just a puppy thing. He hasn't ate socks or panties for quite a while now :) My older one never cared about eating clothing.

LOL, mine is a sock-snuggler. When I go to bed sometimes I leave them on the floor. In the morning i find them in her bed, like little tiny pillows.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:13 pm

My Dutch is the same way ...Doesn't chew any thing but she likes to sleep with my socks .... :D
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dflorea » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:38 pm

IMG_0848.JPG

New pup found a wabbit!
Dflorea
Pup
Pup

Postby Dflorea » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Mine prefers rocks and sticks to a rubber ball. Picks up nasty dead stuf eats it or rolls around in it. Normal puppy stuf so far. They explore the world with their nose and mouth. I'm trying not to rush up and grab when giving the command to "leave it" as I've Noticed this makes him want to hurry a stash the object in his stomach. Instead try to calmly walk up and get it out of the mouth without making too big of a deal.
Dflorea
Pup
Pup

Postby marsh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:13 am

Dflorea wrote:
IMG_0848.JPG

New pup found a wabbit!

Is this by chance a Ripsnorters pup from Rough and ready and Fiona? Looks to be about the right age for that breeding... Just curious.

My PP has chased and caught a couple rabbits.. good stuff- have fun.
marsh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Pointers