Roading my GWP

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Roading my GWP

Postby Afischio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:44 pm

Hey all, I am new to the site and new to upland hunting. My pup is almost 1, I have shot 40-50 Pheasant over him so far. My question is, I have a Yamaha SxS and want to start roading him. I just got the harness, but I am trying to figure out the most practical set-up for my machine. Anyone out there roading with a SxS, sorry if this has been asked before. Thanks
Afischio
Pup
Pup

Re: Roading my GWP

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:50 am

I road my GSP off my mountain bike so I don't have any specific experience so I'll offer up some food for thought FWIW. I've seen roading rigs made from metal pipe/tubing and even 2x4s. Do a google image search for atv roading rigs or search this site or gundogforum "roading" for some ideas. Also, be very cautious with your young dog. Lots of people more experienced than I recommend 18 months to 2 years before seriously roading.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:39 am

No real reason to road a 1 year old dog especially one that's getting out and hunting a lot. But you can take a length of pvc piping enough to keep him safely away from the SxS and drill a hole in the end and attach a rope with clip to that end. then mount the other end to your vehicle.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby seank » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:34 pm

Like FD says, I am pretty careful on roading a dog that isn't fully developed yet. It can lead to joint problems. I'm in a place where I can just dump mine out of the truck on a dirt road and drive when I need to. I prefer that to the ATV setup but it doesn't work for everyone and all conditions. With my 9 mo old dog, I keep it short. His older buddy would do 10-15 miles if I let him, but I usually keep it to 3-5 and do it sparingly with a lot more emphasis on field work.
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Pointers