Anyone breed, own (or owned) a pudelpointer AND a grif?

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Anyone breed, own (or owned) a pudelpointer AND a grif?

Postby ANick » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:52 am

Standard poodle as a bird dog... yup.

Dad's tale about their local vet when he was a kid. He had a Standard he hunted with. Always hunted alone, always limited.

He was also well known to almost be able to hit the planet with a 12 ga., on a good day.

It weren't his shooting getting birds. :)
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby runningdogs » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:48 pm

ANick wrote:Standard poodle as a bird dog... yup.

Dad's tale about their local vet when he was a kid. He had a Standard he hunted with. Always hunted alone, always limited.

He was also well known to almost be able to hit the planet with a 12 ga., on a good day.

It weren't his shooting getting birds. :)

:lol:
runningdogs
Started
Started

Postby cjm » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:14 am

i have a friend with griffs and a pp - when he had an injury, i'd come by to take the pp out with my dog to get it some extra exercise. the griffs would get enough exercise to not go crazy by running around in the backyard (and they are younger); the pp needed to burn off more to keep sane. the griffs are just less intense. they are also less interested in retrieving. this is my only experience though - not sure how much is breeder or individual dog or breed.

i agree that what you are describing would be a better life for a hunting dog than the life a lot of them end up with in 'hunting families.' however, i think that only selling to hunting families is a worth-while attempt to keep a breed like the pp from becoming popular pets. i would bet that the percentage of dogs that end up with crappy lives in hunting homes is lower than the percentage that would end up in crappy homes if they were sold to anyone. you clearly understand what it takes to own a working dog but many people probably don't. so i'd agree with others that you should look at non-hunting lines of griffs over a pp - even if you could find someone to sell you a pp.
cjm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby runningdogs » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:50 pm

runningdogs wrote:
Densa44 wrote:This might help. There is a fellow on here who breeds Airedales, 60 years ago they were very highly regarded. FDR said that they were the best dogs ever. They have fallen out of favour and I don't know why. They are not a versatile hunting dog but that will be O.K. for you.

The fellow goes by the handle Hicntry (That is close) he might be able to help you with a dog or some advice.

Good luck and your honesty is much appreciated.

I appreciate your suggestion. I considered them, as some friends have a couple, but Airedales really just aren't for me. I'd really like a dog that's bred to retrieve and they just aren't. I know that some will and that others can be trained but they just would not be my first choice. I'll continue with my research for sure. Just love that pointer personality. We actually have a standard poodle who quite honestly would have been a phenomenal hunting dog no matter what anyone says. And he is just hardwired to retrieve retrieve retrieve all day long. But as much as we love him, he is just a little... not sure what the right word is... ditzy I guess. :)
Maybe my lot in life is to either start hunting or be stuck with ditzy dogs for the rest of my life... ;)

Okay, now I'm going to eat my words... Just met an airedale today that could fetch/retrieve with the best of em! His owner said it took very little if any training to get him on that track. He was a rescue so do not have any breeder information. But my interest was "re-piqued". In researching them, they seem to have that same sense of humor and personality that I love in the grifs. Looks like I will have to get this Hicntry in on this conversation.

You all have been so helpful in teaching me that a hunting line may not be the best answer for our family. It is so confusing because some breeders in the past have told me that the show lines are the dogs who are all spazzed out. I have not found this to be the case with our standard poodle, who was my first "researched dog purchase" and also a show line. He is a ditz but he is not all spazzy and crazy in the house at all and never was really crazy in the house, even as a pup. As an aside though, he has led me to believe that standard poodles may not be quite as smart as the general public are led to believe. :wink: But they are so willing to please that for many it's hard to tell the difference. I just like a little more naughtiness and spunk. (I may be eating my words again soon...)
runningdogs
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:21 pm

Most dogs can be taught fetch and retrieve to a point and Airedales are no exception, but, it boils down to the dog you pick. Few Airedales are bred to work any more, but there are still some good ones around. Is there a point to having a dog that fetches and retrieves if it isn't needed? Airedales tend to be protective, but, some of the others may be also, that I don't know.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby runningdogs » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:20 pm

hicntry wrote:Most dogs can be taught fetch and retrieve to a point and Airedales are no exception, but, it boils down to the dog you pick. Few Airedales are bred to work any more, but there are still some good ones around. Is there a point to having a dog that fetches and retrieves if it isn't needed? Airedales tend to be protective, but, some of the others may be also, that I don't know.

Thanks for replying. I love having a dog that knows how/likes to retrieve bc I feel like it is an excellent way to get them out to burn off some energy on days when I can't get out to work them in other ways. I like my dogs to be mellow in the house but it isn't fair to expect that of them if they have a bunch of pent up energy. Yet my going for a 5 mile hike or 20 mile bike ride isnt gonna happen.every single day so it's good to have a back up plan for the open space near our home!
runningdogs
Started
Started

Postby runningdogs » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:25 pm

Ps... is it as simple as asking breeders... "will your line of airedales have good retieving potential?" or is there something different I'd need to be asking?
And protective can be good, very good. But do they lean toward protection of their whole family or more just toward the one person in the family they are most bonded with?
runningdogs
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:03 am

First off, I don't think high energy dogs are any more prone to not settling in the house than any dog. That comes from lack of knowing how to bring them along in the house. I put some videos up and explained the process of how to bring pups along on one of the threads recently. Very easy if one knows how They are protective of anything that is theirs, people animals etc. Airedale breeders today, for the most part breed for pets so probably don't have answers for you either So in view of that, I would say you really need to know what you are looking in pups. Just watch the pups for a few hours. You don't want the ones that get pushed around and you don't want the bullies. The strongest pups get on well with the weaker ones as well as the bullies because the bullies don't try to push them around. It is the pup that has control over all the pups that you want. He is the strongest most balance one. Good luck
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Pointers