Vizsla vs GSP

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Vizsla vs GSP

Postby andrear » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:25 am

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Vizsla and the German shorthaired pointer. We are just looking for a great family pet, that will get along with our two year old daughter. We are having a hard time choosing between the two, and the books I read make them seem interchangable. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
andrear
Pup
Pup

GSP VIZ

Postby bill10979 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:29 pm

Hi-I will generalize here as there are many variables.
GSPs are awesome hunting dogs (upland). Easy to train,easy to keep. The ones I owned would rather hunt than eat. They were great, but I think they live to hunt 1st and arent as owner attached as the Vizlas Ive seen in general. Yes mine would crawl in my lap etc but my DD lives for me and follows me everywhere, my GSPs stand by the window looking for anything moving outside!!!
. I believe that Viz, DDs, Weims are all very owner attached. GSPs can be as well, be careful to choose a calm line preferrably house dogs(parents) and you will do grea. They are hard to match IMO as upland dogs on birds. They would have the edge on the vizla IMO for field hunting (and most other breeds) too. Both are great dogs, very beautiful. I would give edge to VIZ in home, edge to GSP in field. If you get a calm hunt/NAVHDA line, GSP you have a great dog.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby andrear » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:46 pm

Thank You very much, that helps alot!
andrear
Pup
Pup

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:06 pm

bill has a lot more first hand experience with both breeds, but from what I have seen, you will get twice as much dog for half the money with a GSP.
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby vman » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:43 am

I own Vizslas and so my opinion can be bias, but if I didn`t have the V`s I would own a GSP. I like both breeds. I have worked with many of both breeds. This is my observation. A good GSP is easier to find than a good Vizsla. But when you have a good dog in both breeds the Vizsla will be easier to train and easier to handle. The GSP once it learns what you want, it is a done deal, but they can be bullheaded. The Vizsla is the most intelligent dog you will ever be around. Most are smarter than their owners. The V is also cleaner. The V is also more dependent upon thier owners if you let them. They love people, the shorthair you are only the guy that feeds them and takes them hunting. The GSP is just more independent. I don`t think that is bad. The V is typically more money because of supply and demand. If you are a first time pointer owner you have to consider your abilities. GSP`s are more forgiving with poor training. But be careful of what you buy. Don`t go out and buy a pup out of FT lines when you are hunting small covers. Match the dog to your kind of hunting. IF you are a foot hunter, the Vizsla will excell in any cover put in front of it. Also the Vizsla has the edge in the nose and cooperation. My V`s haven`t been out hunted by any dog yet, and I don`t have to holler and blow my whistle to get them to hunt for me. They continuously find game that other dogs pass up. If you can find a breeder that has dogs that hunt like you need in either breed you will not be sorry. Both are excellent breeds. But consider paying more money up front for a pup and training it yourself, or paying less and needing a pro to train it and get it under control down the road. Either way it will cost money, but it is money well spent. Good Luck.
vman
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:37 am

didn't hear you say anyhting about hunting, just pet. i do not think either will make a good pet for your 2 year old. they will be bigger than her for a long time and just that factor can cause a lot of damage.

i have horses that are very good pets to me but you certainly have to be aware of their size and what can happen when you get in their way.

i would say of the 2 the v would make a better "pet" but all dogs are individuals. just not for a 2 year old.

my dogs are very gentle with my grandbabies but they would never be allowed in the same room by themselves. not becuase they would bite but the child would be in serious trouble if they were between the dog and the glass door when a dove landed on the patio or, god forbid, a squirrel ran down the fence. :lol:

both are hunting dogs that can be pets for hunters but that is the qualification. :wink:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

GSPs

Postby bill10979 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:09 pm

I agree with all posts. You will spend more for a good Viz. Both are excellent dogs in field and home.
Please Please... condition your dog as a pup to fingers around mouth, eyes, ears, food bowl, pull tail growing up etc. Everything a kid would do. This will prevent problems. I worry now more about the kids hurting my dog than vice versa, and kids need to be taught boundaries on acceptable behavior. My 3 yr old has a new game for my DD. Its called "tail riding" where she leads him on a run in the house by her tail. Its very amusing but very few dogs will accept this. hejust started to step on her feet and got his ass kicked by me yesterday. Same w/ear pulling. He did it once and learned his lesson by my size 12 and a sit in the corner.
Condition dog, teach kid-you should be fine. Calm line (GSPS) is the key here and generally Viz are. I wouldnt leave alone together unless you are an expert at training-you might be asking for problems. Good luck.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby chicago0517 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:03 pm

All comments here are right on. However, as terryg said, I didn't hear anything about hunting.

As house dogs keep in mind size. Some male GSPs are horses, pushing 80 lbs. Take a good look at the parents and a previous litter's pup. A male V shouldn't be more than 55, more typically around 50. A female GSP is about the same size as a male V.

I only know GSPs in the field, not in the home. But every V I've known would rather be outside going 100 mph all the time. They will settle down in the home after 12 mos, but it is a contract to an "active" lifestyle. I hear remarks from people all the time when we're out with our V that, "I hear they finally start to settle down about 9 years old."

I would also agree that a V can be wickedly intelligent. They'll play mind games with you - pretending not to hear you, sitting down to lick themselves, etc. Be on your game. Whereas GSPs can be outright stubborn.

Every dog is different and I hate to generalize, but that's what I've seen. Not knowing the answer to the hunting question, I'd have to say if you're just looking for a good pet to be around your daughter and for the family to enjoy there may be better options - including rescues, adoptions, etc.

Best luck.
chicago0517
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby vman » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:34 pm

Chicago, The hungarians say the male Vizsla should be 55-65lbs. the female 45-55lbs. Show males are 50lbs.,, but not real Vizslas 8)
vman
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jmwagner28 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:22 am

i have owned weimars and gsp's and have hunted with people who have owned vislas... I have noticed that vislas can be extremely hyper(think of a kid on a candy high) but the gsp's i have owned have all been fairly calm inside but i socailized them early and trained them in the house and out in the fields or at dog parks. I believe you have to do both if you don't want them running around the house in all out fits.
jmwagner28
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby chicago0517 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:07 am

vman, that could be the stupidest thing I've ever read.
chicago0517
Master Poster
Master Poster

size of Vizsla

Postby ano » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:01 am

My male Vizsla is 23 1/2", 54lbs and is in good shape. AKC standard http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/breeds_v.cfm[/url] .
ano
Started
Started

Postby vman » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:08 pm

My bitch V is 23 in. and 52lbs.
Chicago,, what part don`t you understand?
vman
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CDN Vizsla » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:53 pm

I am with Vman, I like the bigger Vizslas!

My 5yr old Prize 1 UT is also a show champion in Canada and the US with multiple BOB abd he is a 25" 63lbs male.
AS far as show males being smaller, I havent really seen it at the shows I have attended in Canada or the US Michigan PA and NY mostly.

As far as a pet goes, the Vizsla is far more attached to their owners then the GSP is. That can be a plus or a minus depending on how much time you intend on spending with your dog. If you dont have the time to spend DONT GET A DOG!!! of any breed.

As far as hunting goes the best dogs of each breed are about equal, and the bad dogs are about equally bad. As far as getting into the top dogs of either breed on your first dog, good luck. The breeders of the best generally have a clientele that snatch up their puppies before they are even bred.

This is not to say that you cant get a good dog on your first try, just dont expect to walk into a top breeder and expect to get teh pick of the litter, if you get a dog it may be # 6 or #7 choice. You may be better off going to a lesser known breeder and taking #2 or #3 choice. Not to say the pick of the litter is always that!
CDN Vizsla
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby larue » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:21 am

this type of comparison is pointless,,there is as much difference in a breed as between breeds,,The only real difference is the availabilty
of the breeds,,there are many more gsp's to find one compared
to most of the other breeds...this does not make them better,,just easier to find and compare..
larue
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Pointers