Pudel Pointer/GWP

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pudel Pointer/GWP

Postby mspintail » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:36 pm

Looking into getting a Pudel Pointer or GWP. I live in the south how will these dogs handle the heat during the summer? Any other info on these two breeds would be appreciated. Thanks.
mspintail
Pup
Pup

Re: Pudel Pointer/GWP

Postby migratesouth » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:19 pm

I live in the NC and have a PP. He handles the spring and summers okay. We try to make plans to run in the early morning or just before sunset. When we train or hunt in the early fall, I don't mind him taking a break in a puddle or creek to cool off for a few minutes.
Ripsnorter's Indiana Jones (Indy) NA 108 Prize 1 :: http://imgur.com/a/fzQAO
http://www.tarheelnavhda.com
migratesouth
Started
Started

Postby Houghtonic » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:33 pm

I live in Central Texas. It gets quite hot in the summer. I have a GSP and a PP. When researching versatiles, the only one that might be more heat tolerant than a GSP on the face of things would be a Vizsla or a EP (if you consider an EP a versatile). That is not a knock on EPs. I think they are beautiful dogs, but they don't exactly have a high reputation a water dog.

My dogs are indoor dogs with a dog door, so they can come in and out of the heat however much they want. I have 2.5 acres fenced with a ton of native vegetation and also have a pool, so they both get to run around as much as they want and then cool off in the pool and both do that when they've been running around outside. The PP does heat up faster than the GSP, but it is not like she just melts while the GSP is cool as a cucumber. I notice it when they run around that the PP tongue is hanging out bigger than the GSP when doing similar activity levels...the GSP can go more in the heat than the PP, but the PP can train just as much as the GSP. Again I have the pool, so if I'm working bumpers they both get a pool throw or two to cool down. I also don't train in the middle of the heat. I usually train early morning (before 9) or evening when the shadows are long (sometime after 7). This is for the dogs comfort and for my own. Both dogs will just sit outside on their own accord even in the heat we have right now, but they'll sit in the shade when it gets hot (any dog would). If you were to ask me, if a lab can take the heat during the summer in my region (and there are a lot of labs in Texas) then the PP or GWP can handle it as well or better.

When training on a warmer, sunny day in February on a quail reserve, I did notice the PP got hotter more quickly than the GSP, but it was to be expected. You just adjust to the dog. I can say my PP doesn't suffer in the heat because I live in the south. She prefers to stay inside with me anyway, loves the pool and will stay outside as long as I am out there, but I don't try to work her hard during the heat of the day. Enough babbling from me. Hope it helps.
Ripsnorter's Instigator (Raven) NA 112 Prize 1
Houghtonic's Tuff Cookies n Cream (CC) NA 97 Prize 3
Houghtonic
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Texasphez » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:26 pm

I'll reiterate what Houghtonic said.

I live in the northwest panhandle of Texas, and while that's a far cry from south Texas, summers are still plenty warm. My PP also lives in the house but also has access to the outdoors at his choosing. Many times he will lay out on our covered back porch and be just fine. Granted he is just laying around not working. We also train in the mornings and evenings and call it quits when I can tell he's heating up.

During hunting seasons we can range all the way from 100 degrees when dove starts, to below zero during pheasant season. Before I got my PP I had labs. When it was time to hunt we hunted. I have never once let the thermometer dictate whether or not we went. If my big thick coated labs could take the weather here, there's no doubt in my mind that my streamlined PP can't. Now I will add that my PP is not one of the more hairy models, but he is not slick either.

Good luck with your search!
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby TobyTx » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Someone recently asked the same thing here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20412
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kirby » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:27 pm

Can't compare the two breeds but I know my 15 month old PP really shuts down in the heat. Here I find anything 75-80 he is hot but manageable with breaks in the shade and lots of water, above 80 we don't do anything unless he is swimming, just too hot for him. I wouldn't want to hunt upland with him if it was over 75. That's just my .02
Kirby
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:00 pm

To some extent, off-hunting-season heat can be mitigated as described in previous posts (lots of water, early morning, etc). My biggest concern would be the temperatures during your hunting season, when you have much less ability to mitigate for warm temperatures (other than choosing to sit the day out, which sucks when your season and ability get out hunting is finite).
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bwjohn » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:27 pm

I live in VA, I have a PP. this summer has been particularly hot for the last couple of weeks, so we don't run much. But I do really short runs and make sure there is plenty of water for wetting them down.

I think with any dog and the hot temps we are seeing you have to be careful with every dog and the PP or GWP are no different.

I think they are fine.

brandon
bwjohn
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:23 am

Fascinating post. I always thought that the reason there are so many versatile breeds is to accommodate the different climates dogs have to work in. I guess not. You fellows deal with heat a Canadian couldn't stand. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a white, very short haired breed.
Attachments
Nov 9 pink vet wrap.jpg
Very cold day in Alberta
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Houghtonic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Densa, when I first took a look at the dog in that photo I thought it was an amputee.
Houghtonic
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Densa44 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Amputee? Almost, she has boots on too. The snow gets between the toes into her webs and turns to ice. It then "balls up" she then stops and licks her feet to remove the ice, which makes more ice and your day is spent cleaning the ice out of her paws. You probably don't do a lot of that in Texas.

So she wears rubber boots and vet wrap. The vet wrap is because she works like a demon for live birds and the rose bushes wear all the fur off of her shins.

I didn't know men and dogs could hunt in the weather that you describe, good for all of you.

BTW it is Pudelpointer, pronounced Poodlepointer.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Houghtonic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:43 pm

The snow gets between the toes into her webs and turns to ice

Yep. I've heard you describe the problem with the ice between the toes before. I hope you understood I was just trying to be funny as the picture gives an optical illusion. I've always enjoyed your posts and there are definitely times when we just say forget it because it hasn't cooled down enough. You're right, unless I go North I don't have that ice between the toes problem, but we all have our own weather related difficulties to prepare against and overcome.

I did mention and EP back in my original reply, so both of us think at least a little similar and I also don't like it when people try to pronounce it puddlepointer, although to strangers that I don't have 5 minutes to explain the breed to I just say "german wirehair" foundation breed. Have a good one.
Houghtonic
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Texasphez » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Here's a picture of my lab and my buddies GWP after a Texas panhandle pheasant hunt. These two dogs hunted countless times together for everything from doves in 100 degree temperatures to geese and, pheasants when it was well below freezing. Like I said earlier, when it was time to hunt we hunted. The key about hunting in warm weather is plenty of water and taking breaks when necessary. I'm no expert, but this idea that certain V-dogs can't take heat I feel is off the mark. What about english setters, brittanys, goldens, all of which I've hunted with and all of which have plenty of hair. I chose a PP because from my research that's the dog that fit best into what I was looking for in a hunting dog.
image.jpg

OP you asked about summertime heat. Either of those breeds will be just fine with proper living conditions.
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby bhennessy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:18 pm

This question has come up before, so definitely check out the thread that TobyTX posted above as you can get additional perspective and opinions. My two cents as an ugly dog owner (WPG) living in southern Louisiana is to take Texasphez' advice and get the dog that fits your style and personal preference.

We either train early in the am or more usually somewhere with water that he can cool off in. We also keep it short, but I've found that fits Bear's temperament anyway...a couple/few short sessions per day are way more productive than long sessions with too many reps.

I also bring a squirt bottle with ice water in it and he checks in with me when he wants a drink.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Pointers