Thinking a fur sharp d.d is what I need

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Thinking a fur sharp d.d is what I need

Postby Wildman » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Fist let me say that besides turkey hunting there is not a lot of bird hunting here but I like the d.d because they have a history as a small game vermin and blood tracking dog I was hoping if u put what I have read about them you all could tell me if it is right so here is what I am looking for
A blood tracking dog for deer elk and bear
A turkey dog that one that goes out in the fall season finds a flock of birds run's in to bust them up to make calling easier than Set's besides the hunter quite until the shot then recover the bird
A shed hunting dog
A rabbit dog I like the d.d for this because I have read that they point on rabbit like birds making it easier to get one with a 22 instead of a shot gun so not shot to pick out of the meat
A vermin dog mostly coyote and fox I read that fox were one of the main game that the dog was bread for
A trap line dog which means tracking drags and tracking mink skunk beaver and musk rats to their dens
So what say you all do these sound like jobs that a fur sharp d.d could do pretty good the main thing I like them vis thy are good multiple game they don't rang out as far as a hound and not as cold nose as a hound
Wildman
Started
Started

Re: Thinking a fur sharp d.d is what I need

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:33 am

You should call Mike Schlapa at vom Mountain Creek Drahthaars. He does a lot of fur work and will be able to tell you if a DD will be the best breed for the job.

My Vegas does point rabbits, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't sneak away.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TimberdoodleWI » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Look at Jagdterriers as well... Can perform almost all the tasks your looking for in a compact package, truly hunting machines. ^Mike would also be a good place to start on Jagds, he used to own a couple I believe and could get you pointed in the right direction.
TimberdoodleWI
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Houghtonic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:37 pm

If you are wanting to learn more about Jagdterriers, I believe GeorgiaBoy also has Jagdterriers and does a lot of fur hunting.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10735
Ripsnorter's Instigator (Raven) NA 112 Prize 1
Houghtonic's Tuff Cookies n Cream (CC) NA 97 Prize 3
Houghtonic
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby seank » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:55 pm

What about the curs? Mountain curs or black mouth curs? If it wasn't for bird hunting, I would probably have curs. They are mammalian meat dogs. Seems cruel to get a bird dog when there's no birds.
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Wildman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:00 am

Thanks you all I am just looking around right now so I am open to other ideas on the cur dog they are good Hunter's my best coon dog was part cur but I was looking for a all around dog and I don't know how they would do on turkey and shed hunting the main things I was looking at the d.d for were they have a history as a all around dog and they don't rang out as far as the hounds I grew up with also from what I have read on the hard game like fox coyote and bobcat 1or 2 d.d can work them instead of a pack of hounds which we just don't have the space for like my dad did
Wildman
Started
Started

Postby seank » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Most places where I hunt turkeys, it's illegal to use a dog. Shed hunting is also something you should be able to train any dog to do if they have a good nose.

There are others who are more fur oriented than me to advise you on this. My older wirehair will occasionally point a cottontail. He's pretty fur sharp, but most of the time I find that it just gets in the way of bird hunting. Nothing like killing a skunk to make the ride home unpleasant, right? He rolled a coyote at a dead run this morning, which was a first. The yote was up first and didn't let him get close again. Most of the time when he gets after them, it's a 3-5 mile affair and it always scares the crap out of me that he will get run over by a car. His first experience with yotes took him across two four lane roads in traffic, twice. He was 7 months old. That's when I decided I needed a Gamin Alpha. Nothing wrong with a DD or wirehair. They are great dogs. I have two.

Never owned a cur. Always liked them. Seen some good ones that will even do some upland and waterfowl. There are a lot of people in TX that use black mouth curs and some Blue Laceys for hogs and coons. The mountain curs are smaller and are more common further east. But they are tough dogs. Jagdterriers are tough little dogs too. Most are 25# or less. Some breed them bigger. I know a guy with one that's like 40# and know of folks who run them on mountain lions in New Mexico.

Where are you at that you have no bird hunting and have elk? Lots of bird hunting in the West if you look for it. Not so much back east in many places.

Good luck.
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:42 pm

I have hunted with Black Mouth Curs, Leopard Curs and Mt. Curs, Airedale, Patterdale and Jack Russell Terriers, Hounds relative to fur, and like em all, but I think a DD fits your list the best. My GWPs have all hunted fur, feathers and fowl. My first one was a natural accurate, stay put and bark treed, tree dog, squirrels, bobcat, coon, mink and possums and night hunted him frequently. Never have any of them passed up a hot turkey track... My 5 month old GWP puppy hit a hot turkey track 2 days ago and burned down it and put two putting hens in the air, tracked and treed his first coon a couple of days prior to that, I am just his ride to the field ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Wildman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:35 pm

Cool man that sounds almost like what I was thinking l live in the southern part of k.y so bird hunting here mins bobwhite and a little bit of grouse but it hit or miss year to year and spot to spot so turkey is really about the only bird hunting people do and I don't really want a pair of dog that would try to run a fox or coyote to the ground just push them out into the open for a shot
Wildman
Started
Started

Postby seank » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Yeah, I assumed west when you said elk. KY has become tough for bird hunting, though it used to be great. My brother lives near Nashville, TN. Back in the 90s he use to hunt quail in western TN, but he tells me that quail hunting there is dead. Too bad. GWP and DDs are great all around dogs. They will do you right. The genetics are broad enough in the breed that you should be able to find exactly what you want.
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Wildman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:51 pm

The only part I am trying to figure out is would you bring them along like you would a hound on the furs mostly on the fox and coyote could you put a few of them out on a bait site and they work them out to the gun I am looking at them because they don't rang out as much as a hound and they say 1or 2 d.d could hold one at bay that would take a big number of hounds
Wildman
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Most DDs are going to require a hot track to interest them in fox or coyote. And not likely to run it near as far as a good hound will. I suppose you could take them around to bait stations to see if there is a hot track they can smell and run. A DD won't bay a fox, it will grab it and kill it. Likely the same for a lot of coyotes depending on the DD and the cover where it catches up to the coyote. The breeder MissKiwi suggested is a good place to start.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Wildman » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:15 am

Well I learned something new I always thought a d.d did not have the speed to catch a fox let alone a coyote I thought they just push them out to the gun
Wildman
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:46 am

Did not mean to mislead you. They are not likely to catch many of either is my expectation, particularly coyotes. When I wrote they will not run it nearly as far as a good hound, I mean they will break off the track if it is not heating up as they go down it vs continuing to work it like a good hound will. They will work hot scent when they come across it and are good at that. And they are effective in close quarters.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Wildman » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:27 am

Ok miss understood I know that they are not as cold nosed as a hound that is one of the things I like about them if they go after one you know it likely to be one that plays out
Wildman
Started
Started

Next

Return to Pointers