Getting a Pup-Maybe

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Getting a Pup-Maybe

Postby rocco376 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:52 am

So, 6 months after the loss of our GSP, after saying we would never get another dog because the loss is so painful, we think we want a puppy. We are on the list of a well respected GSP breeder, but are having second thoughts. We loved our other GSP for over 15 years, and never went on a vacation in that time. We were so overprotective that we never wanted to leave her with anyone. What do you folks do if you want to get away?
Sometimes our big splashes are just ripples in the pool.
rocco376
Pup
Pup

Re: Getting a Pup-Maybe

Postby JASmith » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:26 am

Our dogs are always well behaved so they are always welcome at my parents, siblings, or in-laws.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Beech » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:47 am

No vacation for wife and I since 1999 so we bought a cabin (second home) in prime grouse country. The other option is to take separate vacations, we do that too. Not for the dog but because we are adamant in protecting our immuno-suppressed daughter. Last time we trusted someone (trained and qualified) to take care of her she almost died and spent months in recovery.

Most kennels will do a good and conscientious job of keeping your dog safe. The dogs sure get happy when you come to pick them up. :multi:
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:42 am

I have a veterinary technician live at my house while I am on vacation. You typically need to pay a bit more and schedule far in advance, but they do a good job. I've used two different individuals over the years. My current pet sitter even learned to use the Alpha and takes my dogs for a run in the timber every evening just like when we are home.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:03 am

I got to know a trainer who also runs a boarding facility (many of them do). Rates are very reasonable and I usually go with the board and train option, which gets my dog more attention, opportunity to run, and a few birds shot for him over the course of his stay. In fact, I just picked my dog up Monday after an 8-night stay while our family was in Hawaii. You'll find many board/train facilities are pretty austere, but safe (which is the most important part) and perfectly adequate for a week or two. I've found that the price of the facility goes up pretty fast as you add "comforts."
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby rocco376 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:02 pm

Boy, I'm so glad I found this site/forum. I have made two posts, and have gotten really great responses. Thank you all so much for being so kind and helpful.
Sometimes our big splashes are just ripples in the pool.
rocco376
Pup
Pup

Return to Pointers