Stichelhaar breeders in the usa

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Stichelhaar breeders in the usa

Postby Quilldog » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:51 pm

I own a griff but would like some information on these amazing dogs if anyone could help? Along with any known breeders in the USA?
Quilldog
Started
Started

Re: Stichelhaar breeders in the usa

Postby Quilldog » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:58 pm

Can anyone shed any light on this topic?
Quilldog
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:15 am

If you're looking for the German version, it's going to be tough.

The Czech version comes with a different name, Cesky Fousek, and there are a couple breeders in N. America. If you search through this name rather than Stichelhaar, you'll be on the right track.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quilldog » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:54 am

Yes I know they are almost extinct but I like the German version
Quilldog
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:15 am

I got some Fousek photos direct from The Czech Republic a while back and the dogs presented looked nothing like those I've seen imported from there. They were very nice looking dogs, German in appearance.

If I were a young man, I'd take on the challenge of preserving in the German tradition, this important breed. But I'm not, so I can't. I wish someone would.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quilldog » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:35 pm

That's kinda the reason I was turning towards this breed. I want to help out and keep the dogs pure to their hunting heritage as I can. I love wpg will always help them but the Stichelhaar is pretty much the mother breed for most wires looking for any light or help that I can get on the Stichelhaars.
Quilldog
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Craig's book is pretty disheartening to read the chapter on the Stichelhaar. You don't come away from the experience with a good feeling.

If you get desperate to obtain dogs and have to resort to Czech stock, contact Bob Farris, Cedarwoods Pudelpointers.

If you PM me your e-mail address, I can send you some photos of Bob's friend Henri in the Czech Republic with some Stichelhaars (Cesky Fousek) that look pretty nice.

I'll be away from my computer for a while and won't be able to get them to you till after January 5th.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quilldog » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:00 pm

Really wish I could find a German Stichelhaar.
Quilldog
Started
Started

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:48 am

There are no more than 1/2 dozen or so active breeders of Stichelhaar. The club is for all intensive purposes defunct, helped in large part by very restrictive breeding regs. I believe that this is a because of other breeds simply offering better alternatives and in greater number. A Stichelhaar might be interesting to try as a hunting dog but with the lack of genetic diversity, breeding would be almost impossible.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby chiendog » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:39 pm

chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby chiendog » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:40 pm

If you really want a Stichelhaar, get a Cesky Fousek, same church, different pew.

chiendog wrote:http://www.versatiledogs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15849&start=30
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:43 pm

To pull this off, you'll need several people and several dogs. The first generations of your breeding program will need to be complete out crosses to establish as large a gene pool as possible of unrelated dogs. This would require that you dip into the Czech gene pool whether you want to or not. You can establish your own breeding protocol to produce whatever kind of dog you want no matter what the origin of your initial breeding stock.

If you start with good hunting dogs, you won't have to start from scratch to breed that in and will reduce culling of non-breeding quality dogs. You'll want as many breeding choices you can get so you aren't faced with breeding sub par dogs just to produce more sub par pups.

Probably a more practical approach is to begin with a few females and utilize AI, in place of owning/importing stud dogs.

Acquiring a pregnant female or two is another option.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quilldog » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:43 pm

I am looking for a Stichelhaar not the cf I have a wpg so if that was the case I would just stay with my wpg but I am looking for the true Stichelhaar. So if anyone can help with a Stichelhaar that would be amazing?!.
Quilldog
Started
Started

Postby chiendog » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Quilldog wrote:I am looking for a Stichelhaar not the cf I have a wpg so if that was the case I would just stay with my wpg but I am looking for the true Stichelhaar. So if anyone can help with a Stichelhaar that would be amazing?!.

If you really, really want to get a Stichelhaar (however 'true' it may or may not be, it could be argued that there is no such thing as a 'true Stichelhaar' anymore) you will have to get one from Germany. And you will have to work your way though some pretty intense club politics. Here is a current list of litters on the ground or planned in one of the Stichelhaar clubs http://www.verein-deutsch-stichelhaar.de/welpen.html and here is a link to the site of the other club...no litters beyond 2013 are listed http://www.stichelhaar.org/

For more information on the breed see: http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.com/201 ... ar_30.html

Here is an article (in German) explaining some of the sh*t storm that caused the club to split into two. http://www.hund-jagd.de/content/index_h ... docID=1637

And here is a forum thread (in German) that suggests that things may be improving slightly for the breed in Germany (no idea how reliable the info is, but it is the first positive thread about the breed that I've seen in years) http://forum.wildundhund.de/showthread. ... asserstand
chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Quilldog » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:33 pm

Thank you I understand how hard it is and how much politics are in trying to get something or to prove you want to try and help the breed.
Quilldog
Started
Started

Next

Return to Pointers