Field Trial Questions

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Field Trial Questions

Postby northwoodshunter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:32 pm

I have a English Setter pup that is almost 6 months old, and i would like to get him going good on hunting then i have a couple trainers that i am looking into to get himto retrieve good, and i have a different person that specifically helps owners like me get there hunting pup going on grouse and woodcock hunting. My pup is out of good lines, 2xch Keystone's Red Recession and RU CH Abigale. What do i need to do to get him to the field trial level for when he is around a year old(spring), so i can try running him in trials, and what field obediance should i be doing, and how do i get him in them?

Thank you in advance.
northwoodshunter
Started
Started

Re: Field Trial Questions

Postby gusto » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Concentrate on handling and getting your dog into as many birds as possible. At a year old he won't be required to do anything more than show that he is hunting and having him hunt for you.
You would be good to join the coverdog forum. And if you have some extra money sending the dog next year with a pro to be worked will go a long way.
Get him out to the front and hunting and get him changing directions when you change direction. Have fun.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Pointers