How Versatile are DK

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

How Versatile are DK

Postby ericsplls » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:01 pm

This is my first post here but have been reading through the forum for a few weeks. I am a jack of all trades in my profession and while hunting. I would like a dog that could be the same way. I know the DDs are supposed to be the most popular dogs when it comes to versatile hunters but honestly I just can't sell my wife on them. I might could pull off a terrier sized wire hair but the DDs are just too big and ugly for their own good. At least my wife thinks so. So if I go a DK and asked it to point quail, rabbits, boar, and to retrieve anything small enough to carry on land or water possibly even tree some squirrels, the occasional daytime coon, and track wounded deer. Would I be asking too much? I'm not a trainer but have a decent amount of experience training dogs to hunt all the animals listed above just not all in the same dog. It's not going to hurt my feelings if I am bird hunting and the dog trees a squirrel at the edge of the field or points a rabbit. It's not a big deal as long as the weapon in hand is appropriate for the game. That's why I would like for the dog to stalk and point hogs not bolt out of the field and bay 600 yards across a swamp. Don't get me wrong I understand it would take a lot of work but I know one dog can do most. Not sure about the teeing. Wouldn't have to stay treed for an hour as I like a squirrel dog to hunt out 100-150 yards while I walk through the woods. So is there a DK breeder here producing pups capable of filling those shoes? Also not wanting to start the great debate if there are any GSP lines producing dogs that are capable. Oh and I almost forgot the dog will also be a family pet. No real small children. But being a pet it needs to be a joy to have in the house.
ericsplls
Pup
Pup

Re: How Versatile are DK

Postby jmr12 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:00 pm

eric.
Not being a S/A here but there are a lot of articles, videos, testing info on the web. I would suggest reading about the testing. Its difficult for me to decipher all the letters and abbreviations for the test results, but I struggle thru. Most of it is in German. It should give you a idea of what the dogs should be capable of and if it will suit your needs. We have two GSPs. Our DK is a male. He still has all his man parts. After a long day of exercise in what ever form, he becomes a lap dog in the evening. Mostly tries to sit on my wife's lap. Both dogs are our family pets, and I sometimes hate to admit it, but they have the run of the house.
Good luck with your choice.
jmr12
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ericsplls » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:52 am

Thanks for the reply. I don't consider that a s/a answer at all. I have also been reading about the testing and can't find anything about treeing. Does this mean I shouldn't expect that out of the breed?
ericsplls
Pup
Pup

Postby Wolfgang » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:06 am

ericsplls wrote:Thanks for the reply. I don't consider that a s/a answer at all. I have also been reading about the testing and can't find anything about treeing. Does this mean I shouldn't expect that out of the breed?
ect

Yes that's what you defenately can expect and for the rest you should go figure how much of it you need to get done and performed.
DK is an excellent field dog and most are very good in water for forest work,I would know alot of better choises than DK especially among the german breeds.
But that' just me and my humble opinion other see (or may see ) it totally different.
But about treing...you can defenately forget that .
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Pointers