New vdd pup help

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New vdd pup help

Postby birdhunter23 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:29 am

I recently relocated to bayern Germany . And decide I would buy a new pup picked up my Deutsch Drathaar a week ago . Note I am note a hunter in Germany yet . But I do hunt in California and I hve owned 6 German shorthairs over the years and this is my first dd I have no experience with them .. My pup is two months old he shows drive and retrieves once or twice and then I put the bumper away. But he does not point at all is he to young? And does anyone know the German system of training pointers , so far I know is the teach them to track and retrive from water but not pointing and and holding point. Some info would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
birdhunter23
Started
Started

Re: New vdd pup help

Postby Wolfgang » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:15 am

birdhunter23 wrote:I recently relocated to bayern Germany . And decide I would buy a new pup picked up my Deutsch Drathaar a week ago . Note I am note a hunter in Germany yet . But I do hunt in California and I hve owned 6 German shorthairs over the years and this is my first dd I have no experience with them .. My pup is two months old he shows drive and retrieves once or twice and then I put the bumper away. But he does not point at all is he to young? And does anyone know the German system of training pointers , so far I know is the teach them to track and retrive from water but not pointing and and holding point. Some info would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Reading your post ,gives me the idea you know little to nothing about the german system of testing.which part (City) of Bayern are you located at? You should find some local dogman/woman to guide you and in germany there is in almost every part of the country the so called "Hundef├╝hrerlehrgang" (huntingdogseminars)available to prepar the dogs for their future hunting and testing career.
That's the place you should make connections and get introduced to the system(at least to some degree depending on the instructor)
Your problem is,that you cannot automatically handle a dog in each test without having a hunting licence and training/preparing a dog for his tests is also extremely difficult without acccess and permit to a local huntinglease.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Pointers