small munsterlander male vs. female

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

small munsterlander male vs. female

Postby jjseman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:26 pm

I am going to put my deposit down on a liter of small munsterlanders. I will be in the middle of the pick order for this liter. I initially wanted to get a female because they tend to be on the smaller side and in all of my past dogs have been females (none were hunting dogs). After talking to a couple of breeders, they said the males are more laid back and the females of this breed can be "aloof"-whatever that means. They said females can be more stubborn than the males.
For those of you that have owned/hunted small munsterlanders, do you find the breeders advice to be accurate? Do the male dogs of this breed have a tendency to pee on everything to mark their territory? Several male labs I've hunted with always did this and I found it to be annoying. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
jjseman
Started
Started

Re: small munsterlander male vs. female

Postby redfish » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:39 pm

Where are you getting your pup from?

I currently have a 1 year old small munsterlander male. He is a little shy of 50 lbs. This is my first one, so can't comment on the demeanor versus a female. On walks he does like to pee on things a lot, but has never been an issue when in the field hunting. I have heard if you nip it in the bud early the "marking" isn't much of an issue. It doesn't bother me though, so I've never tried to correct it (he doesn't do it in the house, knock on wood). Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll try to help. There are a couple folks on here with much more experience with the breed that may be better at answering your questions.
redfish
Started
Started

Postby Dakotazeb » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:51 pm

There is a member on this site that raises SM's in Iowa. Their user name is SMAbby. Here's a link to their profile.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11286

Shoot them a PM and ask about the differences in SM males and females.

Personally, I've had both males and females (non SM's) over the years. I much prefer females. They have been much easier to work with and better house dogs (when spayed). But that's just my opinion. Good luck.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jjseman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:51 am

Thanks for the info! I've been doing a ton of research on this breed/purchase and all the advice has been a huge help.
jjseman
Started
Started

Return to Pointers