pointers on fur

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

pointers on fur

Postby kyboy900 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:24 am

hi you all just got on today wanted to ask a ? of all you pointer guys I was reading in the old days they were used to hunt deer and other furs and I was wanting to find out if anyone still used them on furs and do they point them like birds or run them like a hound I have heard both things I was bring up with hounds but just got married and do not have the roome to keep a big pack of hounds like my dad did and like the idea of a dog that could worke by it self and on diffent game
kyboy900
Pup
Pup

Re: pointers on fur

Postby Georgia Boy » Tue May 05, 2015 4:45 pm

Have a look here and if it interests you let me know. We are all about truly versatile dogs that hunt all types of game.

www.vommountaincreek.com
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigshrimp » Tue May 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Yes, I run my dog on deer. He had his first season last fall. I run him like a hound....but he more roots them out of the thick stuff than gets on a trail like a hound would. Style may change as he matures and gets some more seasons under his belt. But his style was pretty effective last year As he pushed two bucks out of two different swamps.

I understand they use pointing dogs in Scotland and New Zealand to stalk deer slowly and quietly in the hill country rather than push them to shooters. Never seen it first hand though.
Bigshrimp
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby kyboy900 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:21 am

that what I was reading about them be used as staking dogs the way lhe laws are here we could not use them for deer but I was thinking about a staking dog for coyote and fox hunting in some of the things I ready some were bread for things like fox and pig
kyboy900
Pup
Pup

Return to Pointers