New Brittany pup

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New Brittany pup

Postby PaGrouse » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:10 pm

Unfortunately 2 yrs ago Christmas weekend a buddy of mine was watching my DD bitch while we traveled and it got away from him and tragically got him by a car and killed. Then last Christmas we found out my 8 yr old son has type1 diabetes and we put it off another yr, then finally this Christmas we decided to get another female.

I've had DD's in the past but my 5 yr old little girl has been begging me for a Brittany! Every bit of money she gets she tells me to put it in the gun safe. so Friday I'm picking up a female from Winnen's Kennel here in NWPA. His is involved in the horseback FT's so I'm really concerned that I'm gonna really have to run the rabbit wheel this summer to get in shape just to keep up with it! I don't have much experience with this kind of dog, so my question for those of you with experience in this area, are my range concerns justified?
PaGrouse
Pup
Pup

Re: New Brittany pup

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:13 am

How FAR can he run away.....being only 10 inches off the ground?
Draggin a berber rug?
Hair all curled up?
???
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 am

Congrats on the new pup. It must be fun having your daughter show so much interest in bird dogs. I recall a few decent threads on this topic, here's one:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17848&hilit=range

Honestly, if I was worried about a dog running too big I wouldn't have bought from a horseback FT breeder. But that ship has sailed. You'll see over and over "It's easier to take it out of them than put it in" and "a good dog will adjust to the cover it's hunting". I'm guessing you and the dog will be able to find a range you'll both be comfortable with. Look on the bright side, if you end up with a big running dog you can buy your daughter a horse.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gusto » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Love that breed, congrats on the new pup. I think you'll enjoy having a smaller dog in the house.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Pointers