electric dog fence and pudelpointers

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

electric dog fence and pudelpointers

Postby BrownBirdDog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:22 pm

just wondering what everyones thoughts are on an electric dog fence? works? doesn't? I have a big yard but no physical fence. Right now I use essentially a very long rope to let the dog out back to run and do his business. I would love to open the entire back yard up for him and lose the rope if it works safely. Any experiences out there? Any issue with these types of fences given the exceptional drive a PP has when it sees game?

thanks
BrownBirdDog
Started
Started

Re: electric dog fence and pudelpointers

Postby blue04 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:52 pm

Are you talking about the "invisible fence" where you string a wire underground and the dog wears a shock box on a collar? Or do you mean a lower power fence charger on a standard electric fence?

I've used both. The invisible fence works fine, assuming you "train" the dog to understand where the boundaries are. I have had problems with dogs slipping collars and running loose. I don't use it any more. The low power fence charger works very well. My dogs never test the fence (IE: try to climb over or dig under it).
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:13 am

Depends on the dog and its prey drive. Some dogs will run through the zap to chase prey, some won't. This will not keep other dogs out of your yard. A friends Lab was attacked in its own yard by by a Shepherd/Husky mix. I do not think they are as safe as a physical fence.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:39 am

Calvinator wrote:This will not keep other dogs out of your yard.

Good point Calvin. I should have mentioned that. The standard electric fence will keep other dogs out of your yard, which is an added benefit. I really think the best of both worlds is a physical fence of some sort (page wire, wood, etc.) with a strand of electric around the inside bottom (close to the ground) and a strand of electric around the inside top. I haven't yet run into any dogs that this setup would not contain. The bottom wire is to discourage diggers. The top wire is to discourage climbers.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby BrownBirdDog » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:12 pm

sorry, yes I meant invisible fence with collar. I have never sen any other dogs come in my yard but thats a good point. I agree a physical fence would be the best, just very expensive. The invisible fences seem like a low cost option that many people use, I just would hate to have even one 'incident'. Too much traffic around my house to take any chances.
BrownBirdDog
Started
Started

Postby Calvinator » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:28 pm

Nothing is 100%. Although a physical fence gives more safety in my opinion. I doubt any of my PP would stay behind an electric/invisible fence with prey on the other side.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:08 pm

I've seen dogs double colored on invisible fences to get 99% compliance. Given the severity of injuries Ava has hunted through I can't imagine a shock slowing her roll with a cat in sight. And intact males break through them to get bitches in heat. Worst they create a "domain" for the dog just like a fence but they don't exclude homo sapiens and many dogs who are otherwise friendly will bite an unannounced stranger in the yard. Plus yep neighbors pitbull can come in and fight your dog. I've seen lots a shenanigans. Hot wire top and bottom on a 4 ft fence will stop most escape artists.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mad mike hickey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:16 pm

I WOULD BE VERY CAREFULL.THEY ARE VERY SMART DOGS ,SOMETIME TO SMART FOR THER OWN GOOD.A YOUNG PUP CHASING AT BIRD GETTING ZAPPED COULD BE BAD.MY OLD PP WILL TAKE AROUND 440 VOLTS WHEN POINTING A BIRD OR OTHER SMALL CRITTERS.HE IS A REAL HARD HEAD AT TIMES.MY WIFES DOG GOT ZAPPED ON MY PHEASANT PEN AND DIDNIT HUNT FOR A LONG TIME, AVOIDED BIRDS. I LET MY DOGS RUN BUT USE THE GSP WITH A ZAPPER AT LOW LEVELS.
mad mike hickey
Pup
Pup

Postby Steve Anker » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:40 am

I believe if given the wrong electrical input stimulous, if the correction level is too high,
a WOOLEY Pudelpointer, jerry curled equiped, would immediately burst into FLAMES.......!
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mad mike hickey » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:34 am

Get a garmin gps instead.It zapps low high or sound. If my pp sneaks off i know where he in heading. Easy finding a lock up dog,if he is good dog you will love it.
mad mike hickey
Pup
Pup

Postby marsh » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Mine would run through it, as Calvin stated. My buddies dog did this, chasing a rabbit, then the fence kept the dog out of his yard on the way back in.
marsh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby zoli 16ga. » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:36 am

" MY OLD PP WILL TAKE AROUND 440 VOLTS WHEN POINTING A BIRD OR OTHER SMALL CRITTERS"

It's not the voltage that will stop a dog, it would be the amps.

440 volts at 20 amps would kill most living things.

Just say'n.

Don.
zoli 16ga.
Started
Started

Postby ANick » Sun May 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Fences can be spendy, or not so bad if you don't mind sweating a little bit.

Being fairly 'cheap' myself, I scratched my head for a while before I came up with my solution. This has worked well for the last 6 years, but I may need to raise the top for the new pup. The old fella wasn't much of a jumper. :)

That said, here's what I used:
Wood Posts, treated. Posts were tamped in with dirt or better, '5/8 minus' gravel on no greater than 8' 3" centers.
Galvanized Cyclone fence, I used 48" height.
Ground contact treated 2 x 6 (base rail)
Treated 2 x 4 (top rail)
Fencing staples

Posts were put in plum, in line and carefully spaced.
Getting the upper edge lined up took some trial and error for the height and slope, but work with the chalk line and tape measure worked quite well.
Angle clips in on the 'inside' secure the upper and lower rails but leave the outer face un-marked.
From there, the wire is pretty simple, even if it is a pain to work with. Staples on the rails horizontally about every 5th peak and every third or 4th wire down the post face.

The pic should provide more description..
Attachments
dog run fence.jpg
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Pointers