Hunting Versatile dog

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Hunting Versatile dog

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:21 pm

How would you go about training to hunt rabbits?

Well, ya just don't lead them as much.........BANG 8)
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Steve Anker wrote:Well, ya just don't lead them as much.........BANG

You been watching Vietnam flicks ???
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby drahtman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 pm

I intend to start training my pup as soon as I get him. I have reserved 100 quail and will have all summer to train. How often should I train? What is the best way to introduce to gunfire?

Any other training tips would be great!

Thanks,

--Drahtman
drahtman
Started
Started

Postby PaGrouse » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:38 pm

drahtman

10 yrs ago I joined this forum with the same excitement that you have, been so long can't even remember my log in! But I will tell you join the VDD and start looking for tests in your area, amazing what you can learn. Also see if any NAVHDA groups close to you and go to a few training days. Since this is your first dog it would be of great benefit to find a few experienced guys to work with. You can learn much from books and forums but there is no substitute to boots on the ground with some experienced folks. I was lucky to have my breeder live close to me and I went from a total rookie to running my dog in the 2007 Armbruster. It was an unbelievable ride and after a few yrs of intensive training you can have the pleasure of hunting over a dog that people will never get lucky enough to have.

I worked a lot with my DD's at a young age and they both were pointing Grouse at 7-8 months and the prospect of that is very exciting, my biggest bit of advice is to be patient.
PaGrouse
Pup
Pup

Previous

Return to Pointers