Anyone hunt over a Wirehair Vizla?

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Anyone hunt over a Wirehair Vizla?

Postby trekmoor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:06 pm

I have never owned a wirehaired vizsla but I have helped train a few and have been hunting with a couple of them. I liked them very much, I found them very biddable and fairly easy to train if you can control your temper ! Many among this breed are like the vizsla, they are "softies." Only one of the dogs I saw hunted fast and relatively far out ....100 yards maximum. Most of them ran at a canter rather than a full out run. I have yet to meet a nasty tempered one.

The breed has become popular here in Britain during the last twenty years or so. I'd have one if my wife would let me , I think their slower pace and shorter distance casts would suit me well now that I am getting a bit older.

Bill T.
trekmoor
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby cthemfly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Bill T---I've been following the breed here in the states but frankly that's a short time endeavor. Many of the breeders here, with one exception, seem to go no further in NAVDHA than a natural ability test and I've yet to see one work....though I have enjoyed watching the smooth hair. What intrigues me about the breed though is its softness (I work with spaniels) and that as a breed characteristic it seems to work close. I'm now qualified to claim I'm getting older and so a slow, methodical, close range pointy type dog might be my next purchase and training challenge. I hunt mostly pheasant and waterfowl but will be resuming hunts for grouse and woodcock soon so retrieving is important to me. Are there breeders in England which are worth contacting for hunting line WV?
cthemfly
Pup
Pup

Postby cthemfly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:04 pm

Bill T
I like the idea of a slower closer working pointing dog. Who are some of the better Brit breeders?
cthemfly
Pup
Pup

Postby Jnyiri » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:48 pm

"A man will walk right into hell with both eyes open, but not even the Devil can fool a dog"
Jnyiri
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ScottyB » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:02 pm

A member in our NAVHDA Chapter has a male which is a wonderful dog. Great personality and UT Prize 1 at 2 years. She lives in Whitehorse, YT so the dog sees some cold weather and does pretty well from what I have seen. I believe the dog was imported from Hungry. She is a wealth of info when it comes to WV, if your interested in contacting her send me your email and I will pass it along. sbreitsprecher@ymail.com
ScottyB
Pup
Pup

Previous

Return to Pointers