how big is your pudelpointer

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

how big is your pudelpointer

Postby double lung » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:11 pm

just curious what I might expect from a typical male or female, the literature generally says 45 to 65 lbs, with the females obviously less, I have come across larger and am curious where the averages might lie, understanding that breeders, lines and individuals all might vary. Also, what would you say is the best predictor of the size of a potential pup prior to it entering this world, sire or dam.

thanks

DL
double lung
Started
Started

Re: how big is your pudelpointer

Postby Hdc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:12 pm

I think you will find a pretty good range in size. There are some NAPPA breeders that breed for dogs on the smaller side of the range (I know of one in Florida).

Mine is from Killbuck Kennel. He is almost 2 years old and weighs about 65 lbs. Weighed 68 at the end of the Summer, but I ran at least 3lbs off him in North Dakota. I am told that he was the largest pup in his litter.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby MURPHMONSTER » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:31 pm

I also have one from Killbuck Kennel. He is going to turn 5 in December and hunts at 76 lbs. He was a big puppy and he's just a bear now. Not much stops him in the fields or woods.
You block your dreams,when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith

Three can keep a secret,if two are dead
MURPHMONSTER
Started
Started

Postby Calvinator » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Males average 60-65 lbs
Females average 50-55 lbs
Smallest adult male I've seen was 43lbs. Largest was 80+.
Smallest female I have seen was 39lbs. Largest was 60+.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31 pm

KillBucks Country Duchess weighed in today at 57 lbs after returning from S.D. . Just getting ready to turn 2yrs.
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby gusto » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:45 am

60lbs in game shape.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 am

She's about POINTER SIZE.......
Attachments
Spring 2012 016.jpg
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deacon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:35 am

My two adult Cedarwood male PP's weighed in at 58 lbs and 62 lbs. Both dogs are/were in good shape at that weight. My current 7 month old puppy I think will likely top out at around 65 lbs. Hopefully a bit less.
Deacon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:36 pm

Was just at the vet this week. Adult male. 69 pounds, in shape for hunting season.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby double lung » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:07 am

thanks for responses, this feeds into my multi year quest for a pup, trying to decide if a pp is too big for me.

DL
double lung
Started
Started

Postby Hdc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 am

When I was in my multi-year quest for a pup, I was pretty sure that I wanted something in the 45-55 lb range. As noted above, I ended up with a male that averages 65 lbs. If and when I get another dog, it will be a PP, and I wouldn't want anything smaller than 60. I like the way my "larger" dog hunts.

If you are certain you wanted a smaller PP, contact John Salassa (Hiddenacres Kennel) in Florida. John prefers the smaller PP's and breeds for that size.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby tommck1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 am

I have a four 1/2 month old pup who is already 42 pounds which should have him topping out at least 65-70. Do you see any stamina issues with the larger dogs?
tommck1
Pup
Pup

Postby Ducky » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:04 pm

My 4 month female PP is a lot smaller than yours tommck1! She is barely 24 lbs now, so I bet she'll be about 50 lbs when she is full grown. It's funny because she was one of the bigger pups when we picked her up but I think that's just because she was a better competitor food than her siblings. She is fearless.

From what I know about genetics, the sire and dams should be equal predictors of the pup's size. Each pup will inherit a different (but equal) set of alleles from their mother and father so you can see a lot of variation across the pups of a litter, including variation within the males and females within a litter. However, females are on average smaller (as you mentioned). If you are looking for a smaller dog, as others have said, look for a breeder who tends to have smaller dogs and also think about getting a female.
Ducky
Pup
Pup

Postby tommck1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Hey Ducky...we may have littermates? Who did you get your pup from? Also, while I am a bit concerned over possible stamina issues with a big dog, at this point Jax is already hunting a bit, pointing planted quail very stylishly, and going into water on his own. Not too shabby for a 4 1/2 month old pup!
tommck1
Pup
Pup

Postby Packfish » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:08 am

6 yr every time I weigh him is between 69 and 72#- in shape as a race horse. The 9 month is 42# and I don't think he will get over 55 or so.
Packfish
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to Pointers