Bad ears

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Bad ears

Postby UPLNDScout » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:20 am

Scout seems to get a ear infection after each time I take him out for a swim. His ears get a black tar in them. I was told by the vet that it was an ear infection and was given a tube of med. to give him for ten days. I t did clear up but continues to come back. Is this something I can expect from my wire as being something I will always have to treatr everytime i let him in the water? I read in a thread some place before that it could have something to do with his food. Any suggestions??
UPLNDScout

Postby larue » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:00 am

some dogs are just predispositioned for ear infections,,,I have one gsp who
always seems to get one..you can try to use a different ear treatment,
as this dogs ears responded better to a different ear treatment..The first treatment was knocking the infection down,but not out...another brand,
seemed to work alot longer...(both purchased from a vet)...
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Ears

Postby Staci's Grandma » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:57 am

Hi,

We use Nolvasan Otic cleansing solution, to routinely clean the dogs ears. We got it from the vet and it works great. You can look in the ear and see nothing, but when this is used, you can't imagine where all the gunk that comes out was hiding.

Pat
Rostig's GSP's
Staci's Grandma
Started
Started

Postby terryg » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:02 pm

this could be fungus or bacterial ear infection. it sounds like fungus with the black gunk and you will recognize the smell.

this is the same as atheletes foot. you actually never cure atheletes foot you just keep it under control.

use the cleaner granny recommends and always keep a supply of the fungus medicine. once you get it under control you just use the fungus medicine periodically and it should be fine.

use your sense of smell. you will smell it even when you can't see it.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DD4ME » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:11 pm

My DD shows his Griff heritage with lots of furnishings and both ears full of hair. Got ears infected a couple times when young.

I use ear powder then pluck them every couple weeks using fingers and hemostats. Also rinse with a vet product called "Epi Otic" every time he swims - which is 3-4 times a week. Prob same product granny refers to above.

No problems since I started this regimen.

Hope this helps.

dave
DD4ME
Seasoned
Seasoned

Granny

Postby Staci's Grandma » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:55 pm

Glad I only have Grand Puppies or I might be offended.

I LOVE my Grand Puppies, can't wait for the second litter.
Pat
Rostig's GSP's
Staci's Grandma
Started
Started

Postby terryg » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:22 pm

granny is an endearing term. i'm married to one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby sphunter » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:36 am

One thing that has not been suggested yet is to dry the dogs ears after having it in the water (swimming and or bathing.) I had to do that with the my first Standard Poodle; he was prone to ear infections.
SP
sphunter

ear infections

Postby vman » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:49 am

What has been suggested so far seems logical, but the bottom line is you need to get the dogs ears dry inside. These dogs with long floppy ears or hairy inside will not allow the ear to dry out after swimming. If the ear is wet inside for a period of time fungi and other things start to grow and you have problems. Any commercial ear dri product will help. Get the dogs ears dry after swimming. :wink:
vman
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Pointers