backing

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

backing

Postby Emae » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:20 pm

I've not read or seen much on training of 'backing', or honoring points. Is there much training that goes into this, or is it more of an instinctive behavior or combination of both? I won't have to worry about it much this fall, as our 2nd dog, will still be pretty much puppy, but was wanting to get some input for future work.
Thanks---
Emae
Started
Started

Postby ME » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:14 pm

emae,
Show your young dog that a dog standing on point means birds.

Pros that I know imprint this on a dog when it is young right after it is pointing birds on its own. If you have two dogs it should be no problem for you. Don't wait longer, it is easy to set up for a young dog.
Don't be a liberal
http://www.kgov.com
http://www.tcuplandhunt.com
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
1) Thou Shalt not Murder (this includes Abortion)
2) Thou Shalt not commit Adultery
3) Thou Shalt not steal (this includes having the government steal for you)
4) Thou shalt not bear false wittness (purgery)
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Backing

Postby CDN Vizsla » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:39 pm

You may want to start training backing sooner then you think. My dogs all seem to hit the ground knowing to back, but I still reenforce it.
Especially when you are considering running a pup and an older dog, if the pup doesnt honour the older dog and walks in on its point or retrieve it is asking for trouble, and may end up getting chewed on by the older dog for its troubles.
By training the pup to back you can avoid this situation all together, and avoid the perils later in life of having a dog that wont back and causes you to fail at the Invitational should you get that far.

Good Luck
CDN Vizsla
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Pointers