Bad experience with water (water trauma??)

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Bad experience with water (water trauma??)

Postby Kevin Ryan » Sun May 30, 2004 5:21 pm

I recently had my 9 wk old pudelpointer out in my boat and he accidentally leaned over the side of the boat and fell into the water, went under and came back up and automatically swam towards the boat rather than the shore line, and I'm wondering if this experience will have any lasting affects on him or will he be able to swim. How long should I wait before I take him back in the boat or water with me? After the incident he was quite scared and docile but seems to be fine now. Any advice???

Thanks
Kevin
Kevin Ryan

Postby KJ » Sun May 30, 2004 8:00 pm

Your pup should be fine. If this experience does have a lasting effect on the pup then it probably wasnt' a very mentally stable pup to start with. It might take a littlle coaxing and some waders at first but I've never seen a pudelpointer that didnt' love the water. I wouldnt' worry.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:42 am

My shorthair had the same experience except she slipped of my boat dock. Now she is a swimming fool, but it did take a little bit of coaxing with me in the water in waders. Good luck but you shouldn't have to many problems.
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am. -- Unknown
gsphunter
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Pointers