German Longhaired Pointer

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

German Longhaired Pointer

Postby alan » Wed May 05, 2004 10:57 am

Does anyone have any experience with this breed? I have one in the kennel now and would like to know if a sharp personality is standard for this breed. The dog I have now is 12 (?) years old and has been castrated. However, he is still a very dominant animal and cannot be kenneled next to another male or he will fence fight. I do not own this dog by the way.
Breed For Run, Train For Range
alan
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:26 am

I have several friends with Langhaar in Germany. The opinion among them all is that the breed tends to sharpness. From those that I have seen, they also seem to be a bit "stur" (stubborn) and not the easiest to train.
Keep the breed versatile
Jon
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby terryg » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:58 am

at 12 it would be a toss up for the reason he is doing it but, imo, fence fighting and the dominance is not "sharpness". i have had 2 males over the years that wer not sharp at all but couldn't stand another male coming within smelling distance. through obed they were no problem but making them behave never changed their mind.

does he do it to you?

my guess, and i have never seen this breed but thousands of others, would be this is learned behavior along with age.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Pointers