Wirehaired Vizslas

Pointer and setter breed specific questions. Kennel information requests, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Wirehaired Vizslas

Postby Konza Vadasz » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:48 pm

Please allow me to introduce myself, since I am new to the forum. My name is Deb Wall. My husband, Doug, and I live in north central Kansas. We own and raise wirehaired vizslas. All our dogs are NAVHDA registered and we participate in NAVHDA testing. We belong to OK NAVHDA and Big Muddy NAVHDA chapters.
We used to have rescued smooth vizslas, but after the last one passed away we discovered WHV and now we're hooked! We think this wonderful rare breed is one of the best kept secrets in the sport and want to do what we can to develop this breed in the US.
Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla in KS
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ME » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:32 am

Deb,
I've been trying to talk a buddy of mine into letting my male GWP breed with his female Vizsla so he can start his own line of WHV. But so far no go maybe you could help talk him into it.... :D DO they have the fire of a wirehair? I have seen pictures and they look cool.
Don't be a liberal
http://www.kgov.com
http://www.tcuplandhunt.com
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
1) Thou Shalt not Murder (this includes Abortion)
2) Thou Shalt not commit Adultery
3) Thou Shalt not steal (this includes having the government steal for you)
4) Thou shalt not bear false wittness (purgery)
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby seadog » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:46 am

A couple of guys in our chapter have and breed them, from what I've seen they are not to shabby. But then one has to ask if it's an ugly dog you want instead of a short coat viz. why not go for the real deal.
seadog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

WHV

Postby Konza Vadasz » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:49 am

That's how the WHV was first developed in Hungary back in the 1930's. It's still a very rare breed though.
Our wires have more drive in the field than any dog we've ever hunted with, but they're otherwise pretty mellow, couch potatoes in the house. :D
When we go to our NAVHDA training days, some of the other dogs on the chain gangs are bonkers--hyper & barking, etc. but our WHV just wait their turns patiently.
I love their looks, but that wire coat is very functional too!
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ME » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:58 am

I know Deb, that is why I'm trying to get him to do it. :D
Don't be a liberal
http://www.kgov.com
http://www.tcuplandhunt.com
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
1) Thou Shalt not Murder (this includes Abortion)
2) Thou Shalt not commit Adultery
3) Thou Shalt not steal (this includes having the government steal for you)
4) Thou shalt not bear false wittness (purgery)
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

WHV

Postby Konza Vadasz » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:02 am

I hope you're not calling wirehaired vizslas ugly now! :(
I think a direct cross between V & GWP might look a little weird--it has taken almost 70 years to develop the breed to where it is today.
Would that person in your chapter be Sandor Arany, by any chance? He's got some great dogs--qualified for NAVHDA Invitational (my ultimate goal).
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

WHV

Postby Konza Vadasz » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 am

Well, that would be starting all over again--reinventing the wheel, so to speak. That'd make the WHV breeders I know have fits!
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby seadog » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:24 am

Yup.... And no I'am not calling your dogs ugly cause beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my eyes are blinded. Nice to meet you and welcome.
seadog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

WHV

Postby Konza Vadasz » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:44 am

It's a small world for WHV people!
I see in your profile you're a follwer of GWP, so I know you're attracted to those bushy eyebrows too! Gotta love that face :D My wires are a solid golden russet to dark rust in color, and yours are not, otherwise there's a lot of similarity in them.
Likewise, and thank you.
There are only a few things I enjoy more than talking about dogs :D
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bigshrimp » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:08 am

How would you rate their cold tolerance?...particularly in the water (and waiting in the duck blind)?

Would you say they are more of a field dog, water dog or equally split?

I love the look of them too but have to think about functionality here in the north :wink:
Bigshrimp
Master Poster
Master Poster

WHV

Postby Konza Vadasz » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:43 am

Their overall tolerance for the cold is excellent, but probably not to the extent of a Lab or Chessie in the water.
I'd say they are equally adept in the field or water.
Our experience in the water has been limited...this is our first year of hunting waterfowl. We've taken it up because of these dogs. They're much better at it than the smooth v's we used to have, which weren't tolerant of the cold at all and didn't really like the water, but the wires absolutely love it!
It was kind of dry & mediocre for waterfowl here last fall, but we went hunting in Nevada (up near Reno) in November. It was dang cold, by my standards, and they were unfazed. They were in & out of the water like it was high summer, while I just wanted to huddle over a thermos of hot coffee! :lol:

We've had more cold & snow here this winter than in the past few years and they don't mind it a bit. One of our pups that went to MI last fall has been having a blast in all the snow up there, loves it!

Our girl, Tulip, is a tireless swimmer, will not give up a water search no matter how long it takes. We've limited our work to marshes & wetlands, instead of going to any of the bigger lakes, for fear she'd end up chasing a wounded duck too far out into deep water beyond where we could help if needed, since we don't have a boat. Don't really know if that's a serious risk, but don't want to take any chances!
Konza Vadasz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Birdhunter » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:01 pm

From what I have read about the breed the wire coat was brought in from outcrosses to GWP's. Adding the wirecoat has made a much prettier dog. But that is just a very biased opinion from a guy that loves wirecoated dogs.
Birdhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:32 pm

konza,

i was talking to a navhda official that hunts the same club i do and i heard mention of your dog tulip. the thing that made both of us remember the dog was the name tulip that was owned or was somehow related to a woamn named holland. ring any bells.

this person was excited as the wire vis had not been seen out here in these parts and as a hungarian myself i had always been interested in the breed.

the problem we have out here is that the vis that are around are not really what i would call a hunting dog by my standards.

did i hear you were coming out here for a trail? i always keep an open mind and decide after i have seen the dog what he is or isn't.

never mind taking a look at a good dog.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby seadog » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:23 pm

Not to be a jerk or anything like that but, there are no GWPs in Europe.
seadog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Birdhunter » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:37 pm

One of the places I have read that is in the breed history described by the Canadian Kennel Club, which recognizes the breed, on their website. Of course there is not a "German wirehaired pointer". Every language uses different words to describe the same dog and every breed will go through slight changes in different countries and even regions within those countries. That doesn't mean they are a different breed.
Birdhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Pointers