Cross Breeding

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Cross Breeding

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:03 am

SamIAPheasants.jpg

Hey Peto,

Interesting comments. Developing a "new breed" is a huge and long undertaking, but we should all be thankful that persons before us undertook and completed the task none the less.

As far as cross breeding goes I have experience with several extremely worthwhile crossbred dogs. They were all fun in their unique way. The photo is a dog I owned and hunted back in the late 80s and early 90s. Sam was what the ole timers called a Dropper. A purposeful cross of a setter bitch to an Elhew pointer stud. I had just lost a GWP puppy to parvo (despite 4 vaccinations) and was still working thru that huge hurt when my father in law called me from central Ks about a free "pointer" he had located. I groaned at the notion of a "give away Pointer", and said do not commit me to taking the dog but I would drive out and take a look. Seemed a friend of his from the Moose Lodge was loosing a battle to bone cancer and was consequently willing to place the dog with someone who would hunt and enjoy the dog. I drove out and went over to the gentleman's house. We walked out to the pen and looked at Sam quietly wagging his tail. The Gentleman explained he thought Sam was 5 years old and had been a pretty promising young dog but had not been out of the pen in over 2 years. I said I had brought a dozen pen raised quail with me and asked if it was ok if I took Sam to my in-laws alfalfa field and see what happened.

So we did. Walked around shaking the quail out of the box letting them fly and land where they chose. Went back to the truck, unloaded Sam and took my single shot .410 (did not know if the dog had any gun sensitivity or not, so opted for the small gauge). Pointed Sam into the wind and away we went. He took off immediately quartering into the wind and popped into a beautiful head and tail high point well off the first quail he located. He held his point as I walked past him, flushed and shot the bird. I saw Sam flying by me out of my right eye. He scooped up the dead bird on a run, turned and raced back towards me, spit it out at my feet, turned immediately and started hunting for the next one.

We found and shot all 12 quail. I dressed the birds and drove back over and delivered them to my new friend (took the Gentleman dove hunting and guided him to first and only turkey before he passed), and assured him that Sam had a home for life.

And he did.

Sam taught me how to bird hunt. He was particularly skilled at circling and cutting off running rooster pheasants after the first time they ran out from under his first point. It was a thing of beauty to watch. Sam seemed to have received a near perfect blend of the more quartering ground pattern of his setter mother and the nose and drive of his pointer father. At least that was how I saw it.

Two other cross breed dogs I have enjoyed easily come to mind.

A lifelong friend of mine had a farmer neighbor who's Redbone Coonhound male bred his yellow lab female and my buddy got a puppy for his two young girls at the time. But he also developed and trained the dog to hunt, quarter, flush and retrieve quail and pheasants and blood trail whitetail deer as well. Sue was excellent at all of these tasks. She had medium hound ear, above average nose, bawl mouth when she used it, short coat like a hound, charcoal black color with a beautiful red sheen when she was in the sun. Sue did her job well and was loved throughout.

And then there was the 3/4 Mountain Cur, 1/4 Bluetick squirrel and coon dog I was privileged to hunt with ...

Probably not likely I will ever be in the market for a crossbreed dog. But I certainly don't dismiss the possibility as I have observed that first cross often produces some really fun, interesting and useful dogs. Hard to get rid of the pups and not very practical for breeding and placing puppies is the obvious downside.

But as I stated. Thank You to those before us who were not deterred from developing the breeds we all love and enjoy.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:02 pm

One outcrossing........for whaaaat?

Someone cut this fella off........coffee only.

Even the GSP of today, outcrossed so many times by POINTERS....it wasn't done in one shot.
One shot will get you an OOOOOOPs.......a three headed green tailed dog with hodge podged pointing skillz.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:24 pm

No worries Steve, I am sober. :D

To be clear I am not advocating for anything. I just have had some very positive hunting experiences with some cross breed dogs and shared them. I easily appreciate that generations of selective breeding, hunting and culling went into the development of the breeds we now enjoy. But without a willingness to cross breed they would not exist and I find it telling and ironic that so many dismiss the concept completely at the outset.

Not breeding or selling anything here. Just enjoying time in the field with dogs I appreciate and admire.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:58 am

Aaaaaah.....
Well then there ya go,
good for you....

Enjoy your houndzzes!
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 1gundog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:29 pm

Guy on another forum tried to justify cross breeding labradoodles because he heard good things about pudelpointers.
PP "Trout"
GSP "Lilly Belle"
1gundog
Started
Started

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Pudel (poodle) Pointers 101.......breeding wise-

Take 2/3 rds ALL pure blood POINTER Pointer

mix in part Wooley Wildebeast, blend well
sprinkle in a shtickle of GriffondoodleHound, shake
then finally add some Siberian Yak......voila......I give you the Pudelpointer
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:07 pm

Me thinks Steve doth protest too much.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Breeding