Eyeballing hip eval?

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Eyeballing hip eval?

Postby txtrigger2003 » Fri May 18, 2007 3:06 pm

I know that for breeding purposes you really should get pennhip or OFA and that only x-rays will provide a good look at the hip joint. But, not long ago I met someone who was looking at my dog, examined his hips for a few moments, and volunteered that his hips should have no problem ("probably an OFA excellent, but I'd be shocked if less than a good rating," I was told). Did not try to say the testing was unnecessary, simply offered the observation that hips will not likely be a concern.

Can knowledgable folks really eyeball/manually eval hips and identify whether a dog, at less than one year, is LIKELY to have good or bad hips? I have my doubts but thought I'd ask you more knowledgable folks.
Life's too short to hunt with a beardless dog . . .

[url=http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=589]Aspen Glo's Arrow

[/url]
txtrigger2003
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Eyeballing hip eval?

Postby db7 » Fri May 18, 2007 5:42 pm

txtrigger2003 wrote:Can knowledgable folks really eyeball/manually eval hips and identify whether a dog, at less than one year, is LIKELY to have good or bad hips?

no
Humans have televisions. Pointers have birdfeeders
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Fri May 18, 2007 5:46 pm

Not unless the person is a veterinary orthopedic surgeon with x-ray vision. :wink:

Jay
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri May 18, 2007 9:42 pm

txtrigger2003 wrote: But, not long ago I met someone who was looking at my dog, examined his hips for a few moments, and volunteered that his hips should have no problem ("probably an OFA excellent, but I'd be shocked if less than a good rating," I was told).

He just covered 3 bases (excellent - good -- less than good (fair).
Hell I'll give you 10 to 1 odds using the same criteria and I'll be the winner.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby txtrigger2003 » Sat May 19, 2007 12:28 pm

That's funny. Since I had the expert's undivided attention, I should have asked him to examine Arrow's testicles in order to make a prediction of his sperm count :lol:

[/url]
txtrigger2003
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GRIFF MAN » Wed May 23, 2007 7:41 am

Have him look at some cover for me and see if there is any grouse in "dem 'der woods".

Now thats one guy I'd take hunting with me.

:roll:
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

eyeballing hip

Postby Deadwood » Wed May 23, 2007 8:38 am

Haven't you heard of Pet Pyschics? Maybe he asked the dog if his hips were ok and the dog told him they were.

I'm with DOC E - I'd take those odds anyday.
Deadwood Kennels
Versatile Gun Dog Training & German Shorthaired Pointers

Currently taking dogs in for training to run on Ruffed Grouse in northcentral PA during March and April.
Deadwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Doc E » Wed May 23, 2007 9:22 am

txtrigger2003 wrote:That's funny. Since I had the expert's undivided attention, I should have asked him to examine Arrow's testicles in order to make a prediction of his sperm count :lol:

Please allow me to "tune in" on your dog's nutz.....................

OK ! I have it. Your dog will have a NORMAL Sperm count. It could be better than that, and it would surprise me if it's low.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Wed May 23, 2007 9:30 am

Doc,

What you do at home stays at Home!!!!!!

:lol:
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Cora's Shadow » Wed May 23, 2007 11:10 am

The OFA website says that a veterinarian can feel a dog's hips and assess whether the hip joints feel loose or not. Loose hips = hip dysplasia. This likely means that a vet can tell if your dog will have Poor-rated hips or Excellent-rated hips. I doubt they can tell much in between.
Cora's Shadow
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby txtrigger2003 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks, Doc, for sharing your talent and tuning in. Arrow has an odd look on his face, half grin and half embarrassed. :D :oops:

CK --

You've actually pointed us back to the main question -- seemed to me to make sense that someone with experience might be able to tell that a dog has loose hip joints (and thus say this dog is very likely to have HD). But could the person also tell by feel that a dogs hips were excellent? I have no idea about how much movement in the joint is problematic or even detectable, which is why I asked.

Plus I was uncomfortable with a stranger groping my dog and needed the therapy this thread has provided. :lol:

[/url]
txtrigger2003
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby L7 » Wed May 23, 2007 3:09 pm

I don't see why a trained expert (ie: vet) couldn't get an idea of what might be going on. A lot depends on how much the dog lets them do though and how old the dog is. I would guess a dog with issues by a certain age would start to show some looseness and/or catchiness. As far as predicting the future for a pup maybe not.

I blew my knee in whistler and knew I'd gone through a ligament as the feeling is unmistakable. A doctor at the clinic considered herself an expert because of all the knees she's seen and wouldn't believe I had an injury because of no swelling and because of repeated manipulations she did without me screaming. She sent me home despite me assuring her it didn't feel pleasant and that the knee moved in new and not so wonderful ways. Next day another guy took 2 minutes to tell me he was 90% sure I'd done my ACL and 90% sure I'd blown it in two. He booked me for an orthopod that day. Orthopod confirmed it was blown but with muscle tension it was hard to be sure how bad. Once he had me under he said he could tell right away. Translation once I'm relaxed and he got my foot beside my ear he could tell. My new ligament was installed a day or so later.

Someone trained can tell a lot from movement but the dog would have to cooperate some. My vet went manipulated my pups hips at about 10 weeks and said they felt very good (at that time) but didn't compare it to an OFA rating or anything
L7
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Can you say Quack? Get the x-rays you don't want to be passing on hip dysplasia.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Breeding