whelping boxes

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

whelping boxes

Postby Calvinator » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:29 pm

Just curious as to what everyone uses for their whelping box. What do you like about it and why?

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm

I just purchased the one that was reviewed in the VHD magazine a couple months ago (made by Breeders Base) but, I haven't used it yet. I will let you know how I like it in a couple months.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DK1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:38 am

www.breederbase.com - our friends used one for their last litter. Worked out great for them and they loved it. The washable carpet you can buy for the Breederbase box came in really handy too. It's pretty durable. The best thing about it is light weight and easy to fold away for storage. I think you can buy a "play/weaning pen" to add onto it?

We just make a 4 x 4 wooden whelping box built pretty much the same style as the breederbase one only with higher sides. I like the extra sturdiness of the wood sides. The downside is that it is heavy! But, not like it needs to be moved around alot!
DK1
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ohiogsp » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:30 pm

I have a 4 x 4 coragated plastic one and nothing beats the fact you can throw it out in the yard and spray it down with a hose.
ohiogsp
Started
Started

Postby bruns333 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:11 pm

I am just finishing up my first litter. I have a 3x3 wooden whelping box with 12 inch sides and hinged front door that allows the pups to get back in and out. It has vinyl glued and stapled to the floor to help with clean-up. I borrowed this from a friend/breeder. The next time I would make some changes to it.

I would prefer a 4x4 and would add wooden pig rales to the inside. One for safety of the pups if it was a large litter and this came to me to be able to set grates inside the box when the pups get older to help with clean-up. They are good now about getting out to relieve themselves, but not so good early on. I would make the sides even taller. I need to be able to keep them inside while I clean out the rest of their pen. Another crazy idea I thought of was a hinged lid. I raise them in my unheated back porch and a nice lid would allow me to keep them warmer easier. Just some thoughts, but alot depends on where you do it at and how much work you want to put into it.
bruns333
Started
Started

Postby ragsdaj » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:12 pm

my whelping box started out with a 4X6 horse stall mat. Made out of thick rubber (3/4 inch). I put an 8 inch high frame around it. It isn't attached to the mat, just fits tightly around it. You can then add the type of bedding you want for it. We used cheap walmart throws at first and then when the puppies got older switched to straw.

This worked really well until the pups were weaned away from the dam which for us this time was 5 weeks. Once the puppies are capable of climbing out we add one of those portable wire kennels. It's 36 inches high with a gate. If it happens to be a beautiful day you can move the portable kennel where ever you want.

I like the arrangement because I can use the kennel and the mat between breedings, and I can break the frame down for easy storage until needed.

JonR
ragsdaj
Started
Started

Postby WindyHills » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:18 am

Built mine out of the white melamine-type particle board shelving you can buy at most home improvement stores. Easy to clean. Front entrance cut low, with slotted sides out of 3/4" c-channel material available in some of the same home improvement stores. The c-channel sides of this entrance hold inserts of shelving material, used to build up the height when I want to keep pups in later.

Used corner brackets and bolts--so the whole thing can be taken down. Bolts down at the pups height are stove bolts with nuts on outside of box. Handles on two sides as the thing is heavy when put together. Cut a hole for the heating pad cord, fill that with a large stove bolt and washers when not in use. Built a pig-rail that sets down inside the box out of PVC piping--also easy to keep clean.

Hope to be able to report it works great in just a couple of days here.
WindyHills
Started
Started

Re: whelping boxes

Postby Densa44 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:49 pm

We use Jonart, it is made out of "puck board" unbreakable, washable comes apart, and stores easily. Made in the USA, of course.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Breeding