Genetics

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Genetics

Postby brianc » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:02 pm

I have a question on genetics. If you look at DNA profiles it says 50/50 as far as sire and dam, but I have read some different posts in various forums here that more or less dispute that. For instance " the mother's father produces the most dominate traits" Is there anything which is actually proven as to what goes into that pup? Lets say a litters dam has the same great grand sire on her bottom side will that dog have a much bigger influence on the litter?
brianc
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:15 pm

LOL. You will be as confused at the end of this thread as you are now Brian. It is believed by many that the dam throws the stronger traits because the breeders can see many similarities in the pups that appear to be the dams. Who raises the pups? The dam or the sire? Many won't let the sires around the pups. The dam raises them so......who would you expect them to take after....even if it is a little bit?
There is a lot of controversy over questions like this so I can just speak from my personal experience. The crosses that have worked best over the years are Grand sire/dam to Grandson/daughter and Half brother to Half sister. Why? Because you are more than likely doubling up on the favorite side. I have tried a couple of Sire/dam to son/daughter breeding that I didn't care for. I tried one more recently crossed like this and that particular cross is a breeders dream. The bottom line is no one knows till they try a cross and the same dogs that produce an average litter, may just produce some knock outs when bred to different dogs/bitches. I have three pairs in the yard right now that have never been bred to any others. Why? Because those two crosses throw pups that make it highly unlikely that I will be able to improve on by different crosses. One of these crosses I am trying to hedge my bet on. I have the sires sister and the dams brother. Will it be as good a cross? I doubt it, but, when they are that good, you got to try. I may have been better off keeping the dams sister and going that route by breeding them both to the male. It would involve keeping one less dog for sure. On the other hand, maybe this cross will be better. You just don't know.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:17 pm

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby terryg » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:07 pm

hicntry is right. a lot of that theory is predicated on close linebreeding which is scarey to most americans anyway.

if you switch dogs everytime you breed it would not hold true so much but then again, nothing else would either.

look at people :lol: :lol:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:21 pm

if you switch dogs everytime you breed it would not hold true so much but then again, nothing else would either.

look at people

Well, in Arkansas.......never mind
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:32 pm

I always thought it was them West Virginians. Aah, brings back my favorite scene from the movie Deliverance.....
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Joe C. » Sat May 12, 2007 6:28 pm

"them West Virginians". Do they not teach English in the NW Oregon schools? Bet you don't wear shoes either. If you get divorced, are you still considered brother and sister out there?
Joe C.
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Genetics

Postby Densa44 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Nothing like old wives tales substituting for research. It is 50/50 and like it or not some dogs should never be bred.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Breeding