everybody breeds for money....everybody

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby terryg » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:31 am

They stacked crates on top of crates with dogs in them to keep up with the demand.....and they got bottom $ so the went to volumn to make their money.

actually i had a chance to get in on the bottom floor of the sharpei movement back in 1980 before they were even recognized by the akc and most had never seen one. . the 1973 guiness book of world records listed the sharpei as the rarest dog in the world.

bbbbbuuuuutttt NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :roll:

i had dog breeder ethics. i produced "great dogs" and starved, then went out of business.

meanwhile that a-hole with the dogs that "could not even be registered" and were eaten up with skin and other health problems bought a new car and new house and was dumping 2k a piece into the bank as fast as he could produce them and did that for 6-8 years before he moved onto other "rare breeds"

but i showed him. i have some ribbons, certificates, pictures, and trophys in a closet somewhere :roll: :lol: :lol:

see, this is where the confusion comes in.

when i am selling a dog for $2000 he is "worth it"

when someone else is selling a dog for $2000 his buyers are "getting ripped off" :lol: :lol: :lol:

people breed dogs for many reasons.

money, prestige, tax writeoff, my stock keeps getting killed by bears and hogs, i am special, my dogs are special, i have a line of jerks a block long that will buy anything i tell them to, i'm bettering the breed(my opinion as opposed to the truth), its fun, my kids need to see a live birth, she needs a litter to settle her down, he's so good i need one of his kids, i love him so i need one of his kids, he/she is a dog/bitch and breeding them is what you are supposed to do, there are not enough of them, they are rare, they make good pets, the make good hunters, they are little, they are medium, they are big, they are shorthaired, they are long haired, they are cold weather dogs, they are hot weatehr dosg, they are pretty, they are so ugly they are cute, blah, blah, blah.

there are 100 million dogs in this country and your contribution to the number can be hidden in a gnat's armpit :lol: :lol: :lol:

you can yammer about this until the cows come home but the truth is, those other
99,999,000 people with pups could give a rats ass what you think. :wink:

i have a good time listening though :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand guard around the world ready to do violence on their behalf!
terryg
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:27 pm

KYgsp said
"There are databases out there, at least for pointers on the percentage of FT winners that they have produced. While not a sure fire method to make sure you get a good point it is a good start."

Bingo!! I FT Champion at least says it has potential to pass on...possibly. It ia a game of chance and a person is hedging his bet. It beats going with a dog that has nothing behind him that you have never seen work.
While I do not chase titles(there is nowhere to chase them with airedales anyway) I do offer to take people out and watch them work. They don't get to hunt, just watch me hunt. I also tell them if they want to find the good working dogs, try to set up an appointment with the owners of the litter to go to the field and watch the parents work. If they make up a dozen exuses why they can't....don't buy from them. People with good dogs like to show them off. Just another human weakness. One thing for certain, if the owner themselves will not take you out....take a pass because they don't hunt their dogs. They will tell you a bunch of names of people that may have done something with a pup here and there but, if they don't watch everything personally in the field concerning how the dog hunts, how do they make sensible breeding choices? They can't and you can't do it on second hand info. IMO of course.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hunter94 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:24 pm

hicntry wrote:KYgsp said
"There are databases out there, at least for pointers on the percentage of FT winners that they have produced. While not a sure fire method to make sure you get a good point it is a good start."

Bingo!! I FT Champion at least says it has potential to pass on...possibly. It ia a game of chance and a person is hedging his bet. It beats going with a dog that has nothing behind him that you have never seen work.
While I do not chase titles(there is nowhere to chase them with airedales anyway) I do offer to take people out and watch them work. They don't get to hunt, just watch me hunt. I also tell them if they want to find the good working dogs, try to set up an appointment with the owners of the litter to go to the field and watch the parents work. If they make up a dozen exuses why they can't....don't buy from them. People with good dogs like to show them off. Just another human weakness. One thing for certain, if the owner themselves will not take you out....take a pass because they don't hunt their dogs. They will tell you a bunch of names of people that may have done something with a pup here and there but, if they don't watch everything personally in the field concerning how the dog hunts, how do they make sensible breeding choices? They can't and you can't do it on second hand info. IMO of course.

i agree with what you say concerning taking the client out to watch your dog work ( i would do it for anyone interested in my stud and insist on seeing a prospective stud/bitch work that I was interested in as well), BUT besides that I want to see titles, test results, etc. there are a number of folks who do not test because they don't want to compare their dog with others.....wonder why that might be? :shock:

titles are not about bragging, they are about achieving results.......sure some less than talented dogs can pass tests and earn titles, but knowing what to look for in the results will tell you which ones are weakest.....i suppose we could use the pass/fail method of teaching our kids too, but i prefer to see real "test results"......not have someone exclusively demonstrate how good the dog (kid) is by himself......good compared to what? to whos' standard? to yours or mine?

the titles are at the least a demonstration that the owner and dog have worked toward and achieved a measurable standard of achievement.... the dog must be biddable and trainable and possess some talent to achieve the standard........more than one standard as well, the dog should be able to achieve some advanced levels of performance as well....i will certainly take that over "Joe Blow's" word that "ole Red's got some darn good huntin' dogs".....then after that, I will go watch the dog work and make up my own mine as to the likelihood that he may throw some talented pups.......for me, it takes both to convince me that the dog is worthy of producing pups I might be interested in owning........

hunter94
read, listen, learn
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:19 pm

It is an excellent move if you are the breeder 94. In the end, it is about buying and selling dogs and getting what you are paying for or buying. At least (picking a realistic figure from the air) 80% of the buyers probably put most of the weight on paper. Make copies of all titles your dog has and give them with the pups. There should be no complaints if the dog doesn't work out. They were buying paper and they got paper.

""......not have someone exclusively demonstrate how good the dog (kid) is by himself......good compared to what? to whose' standard? to yours or mine?"

Now this is almost word for word why I am going to the Airedale Field Nationals in March. Exactly what I was told. Do I care about their titles. Not in the least. They are recognized only by the National breed club. AKC doesn't even recognize them. They have a fur test that has a walking trail 30" away paralleling the track. Their dogs won't work independently of the handler. The track is not timed, which it should be because fur is about speed, not perfection but they want the track run like a man track or an obedience track. Why is it set up this way? So they can get a few show dogs to pass it so they can say show dogs hunt and increase their market and look like good keepers of the breed. Why am I going? So they can see how sadly lacking most of the dogs are. I promised to even run an 11mo old pup on their master fur. I am not going for titles, I am going to prove a point because of comments like the one above......and so people can see them to increase "my" market area. Titles....that's what titles do, increase marketability, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Show titles, working tiles, it doesn't matter, they increase the value and potential customer base.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: everybody breeds for money....everybody

Postby Densa44 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:16 pm

Ah making money, that would be great. The rub for me is there is a very small gene pool and I have my standards! We drive from Alberta to LA to breed her majesty, it has worked twice, no profits yet, and at 5 pups a time it is not likely. On the bright side there are 8 more pudelpointers in Alberta and our club now has 8 more members.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Breeding