line/in breeding

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby DK dreams » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:15 pm

orhunter,yes, i agree, I just didn't make an accurate enough posting.
What I find to be very important is breeding dogs that are physically compatability.Lookwise they must be similiar and not have the same faults.the pedigree only gets you to the starting line, fitting together the right dogs is what keeps a breeder in the race.

hicntry,congrats on the litter. I am not a knowledgable on airdales and didn't know many people still used them for hunting here in the states. Good luck, competition is good for the breed.
DK dreams
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DK1 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:12 pm

Hicntry - I hope you didn't think my comment directed at you personally! I have no knowledge of airdales except for the fact I enjoy seeing the pictures and stories and everything you post. And oh yes, congrats on the litter.

DrahtsundBraats my ears perked up. Are these DNA tests breed specific or across the board? I've been keeping my eyes out for the DNA tests they have for shorthairs, but have only seen like two different types. These tests all seem to be breed specific, unless that's just a money making scheme...
DK1
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:03 pm

I thought I was loosing it. We got switched to HD in this thread with Drahts post. I got it under control now.
DK1, I had to go back to see what you thought I may have taken personally. If it was the kennel blind comment, it never crossed my mind. One thing I have learned over the years, if you are a breeder, you will be a puppy mill, kennel blind and every other conceivable derogatory thing people can think of if you have good dogs. It bothered me at first but doesn't faze me now. There are a lot of breeders that owe me pups because I gave them pups to improve the hunt in their lines and the are quite a few that name their top stud dog as one of my dogs on their web sites. Giving dogs to breeders also gives me access to getting a pup back with 50% my breeding if I need new blood. It is the name of the game. The pups born Saturday are only going to serious working people or serious breeders. As tight as those dogs are and the main dog in the pedigree, they would do many of the breeders a world of good. The hybrid vigor they would see would be phenomenal....especially if their dogs were line bred also.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Moesgaards Ib

Postby denhamjr » Thu May 25, 2006 10:18 pm

If one was to look at the moesgaard line of shorthairs you would find they are linebred/ inbred on one dog. That dog being Moesgaards IB (pronounced eve). Hjalmer olson started this line and it was carried on by Fieldacres kennels..

.........Denhamjr 8)
denhamjr
Started
Started

Linebreeding

Postby bill10979 » Tue May 30, 2006 9:04 am

Came across this, I beleive they are using High COuntrys Airedales in their line as staghounds. Lays out their breeding program well line/out crossing.
http://www.geneticspecialties.com/articles.html
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue May 30, 2006 9:38 am

I have never seen the web site Bill, thanks for the link. Bothe the stage hounds crossed to Geronimo were from Larry Bulls program. He now has a 5 mo old pups back from the first cross and I believe he is getting a couple of the pups from the second cross. Apparently Larry is pretty impressed with the power and grit of the male he has, now it it a matter of speed. How did you know that this is where the dogs were crossed?
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Linebreeding

Postby bill10979 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:53 am

I just happened upon it a few weeks ago, in some downtime I had at work. Somewhere it referenced his using your dogs in his program recently, but I dont know if I can find it now!

I happened to save it to Favorites as I think its pretty informative, he applied the genetics he learned and practiced in cows and agriculture to dogs. If I can find the info Ill send it to you, or photo for that matter of the cross but Im having trouble at the moment.

Id bet it will be a helluva cross-grit and speed to boot.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:25 pm

Bill, I talked to Larry last night and asked him about nthe male he got out of the breeding. He said he is really impressed with the grit for a young dog. He also said this pup has bones and leg and he figures he is going to be the kill dog that has speed. He is going to keep me posted on his progress. He said he was totally unfamiliar with airedales but this pup had some real peculiarities about him. He said this pup can be in the middle of a bunch of dogs and totally ignore them. I had to tell him that he was probably looking at the future top dog if he had that quality. We will see.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

????s

Postby bill10979 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:23 pm

Cool stuff. Cross breeds generally dont excite me dont this one actually does, as it is bred strictly to hunt. I always liked the "lurchers" but never hunted behind one. My uncle in Ireland has and said its just amazing.

You can throw a ball, the dog will run out and have lunch, drink a guiness,
have a nap, and still have time to catch the ball before it bounces a 2nd time!
(A little Irish exaggeration/storytelling) but he's got a point.

Cant find what I was looking for, I tried but come up empty. Just tell you that I saw the site with your kennels reference and got my attention. Guy knows what hes doing and takes genetics seriously, 10k of cattle and you better. A newcomer can read and better understand how much work breeding isand the scale at which it needs to be done to be successful.
Keep me posted.
bill10979
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: line/in breeding

Postby Densa44 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:25 pm

You can't breed a champion, a performance based one that is, all the breeder can and should do is try to bred a healthy biddable dog that a good handler/trainer can be successful with.

I breed the best with the best, maximize the gene pool and help the new owner train his dog. So far it is working great, I get to see the pups grow up, enjoy my avocation and hunt all the time.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Breeding