whelp inside/outside?

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

whelp inside/outside?

Postby K Locke » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:16 am

Who lets their dogs whelp inside/outside and why? If you let your dog whelp outside of the main home, do you set up a whelping box in a shed/garage? My dog makes a nest under a portable building in my back yard. She digs it out only when she is pregnant and getting close to whelping. I’ve never let her whelp under the building. I’m also curious how many people are completely hands off during the whelping process.
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: whelp inside/outside?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 am

I whelped inside, and stayed with the dam/bitch for 3 days after whelping. I returned to work after that and the litter did fine.

I moved the litter to a 10 x 30 indoor/outdoor pen attached to our heated shop at 4 weeks old. Indoor temperature was 60 with a heat pad available and outdoor temps were 10-40 degrees. I did lock the pups indoors at night.

This was my attempt at balancing protecting the litter (all of which were reserved prior to birth) and letting them develop good coat and muscle. Having seen many different ways to raise pups, I feel strongly that the large pen and slowly decreased temperatures improves early development of muscle and coat so pups can continue their outdoor exposure through the rest of winter.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: whelp inside/outside?

Postby hicntry » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:20 pm

If you are serious about breeding, the hands off method ios the only way to tell what kind of pups you are producing. When raised in the house, people can't keep their hands off of them and handling the pups creates environmental issues that affects how the pups react to everything. If you want to see what the pups actually bring to the table, leave them alone until they com out of the whelping box. If you don't really want to see what you are producing, keep them in the house and handle them.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Breeding