Breeders knowing their pups

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Breeders knowing their pups

Postby STait » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:58 pm

I am also looking to keep that very hard charging thing going in my dogs, and people that have them find out they will, at some point, need to put a tracker on them. The difference I see compared to your desired traits, I have to include enough handle, that they will break long enough from their extreme desire to find birds, to make sure their owner is coming along with them. Or, more appropriately, they are staying in front of their owner/handler while hunting. I like mine to hunt to the "horizon", but they damn well better look me up every ten minutes or so, or be pointing birds.

In the AF horseback field trial world, All Age dogs are king! They are way more valuable than the shooting dogs or gun dogs, because of their desire to hunt to the end of the world if need be to find birds. But, for me, at the same time, those big running dogs need to find birds for their owners that hunt on foot. That's one challenge. Takes brains to adjust all that "hunt desire" and keep it within the foot hunters abilities. People always talk about how All Age dogs produce very few All Age puppies per litter. Most of their pups will end up shooting dogs. So, the goal (my goal) and challenge, is to produce All Age dogs that will handle close enough for the average foot hunter. This keeps me interested in the whole process.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Steve, you have a goal and that is what is needed. Work on one thing at a time if you want to strengthen something...... then take that product and work on the next thing.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks Don, I am and will follow your advice.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to Breeding