What age is too old to breed?

Genetics, breeding, birth defects, diseases, etc. (No litter listings)

Moderator: Moderator Pack

What age is too old to breed?

Postby kdawg » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:01 am

I have a GSP bitch that I'd love to breed. I'm not a pro and obviously not a breeder but I'd like to keep this dogs genes in my family. She is 4 right now but it isn't a good time for me and my family as we are in a bit of a transition period right now in our lives. Could I breed her at 6 years old? Is that age considered dangerous or high risk? What are some of the risks?
kdawg
Started
Started

Re: What age is too old to breed?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:25 pm

After 6 is when risk of complications increase for first litters. Risk of complications is already 20% for a first litter.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:48 pm

I wouldn't breeder female for the first time at age 6.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:08 pm

kdawg wrote:I have a GSP bitch that I'd love to breed. I'm not a pro and obviously not a breeder but I'd like to keep this dogs genes in my family. She is 4 right now but it isn't a good time for me and my family as we are in a bit of a transition period right now in our lives. Could I breed her at 6 years old? Is that age considered dangerous or high risk? What are some of the risks?

Why risk the dog at 6. It is naive to think much genetic quality will be maintained on that particular dog with one breeding. I realize people breed dogs all the time with the same reasoning thinking they are doing something really good....but retaining the genetics of any individual dog requires a lot more than breeding it with no long term plan.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:40 am

Through the grace of God, we have had about half dozen litters over the years, all went well. The main key to having success is YOUTH. We always pair up our hizz N herrrz when they reach around 18 months old to around two years old, for the first litter. This way, in theory, my theory, it always works best because the dog is young and resilient. Also generally, their hips are still pliable at a young age in case it's a tight squeeze bailing out. Luckily we have had good results on just keeping in mind these two factors. Two years old the training is all but finalized, for breaking, AND, I have always felt that a litter further enhances a good bitches desire to hunt and find game. Something that we only have a few chances to instill.

By waiting until later in the dogs life, things tend to get a bit IFFFFY, so plan your litters as best you can.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:34 am

Hi Steve!!!! Welcome back!!

:multi: :multi:
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:08 am

Yo MISSkiwi......

I've always been around, just unable to respond......trolling if ya will...

Thanks, nice to hear from ya
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 am

The good humor man speaks!!!!! Welcome back!
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:57 pm

Yo Harv'

I am working on getting another NEW Pointer pup. Gotta get back out there on the circuit. All my houndzes are retired currently, like their owner.(almost)
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Breeding